Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 610
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 4

oil leak driver side

I have a oil leak that i cannot pinpoint. it it coming from the drivers side by the oil pan but it is not the oil, not from the OFH, and not from the turbo. it drips down onto the side of the oil pan and the drips off the oil pan. any ideas???

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 206
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to dsm8883
clean it and add oil dye.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm8883 View Post
clean it and add oil dye.
ya i can't even see where it would be coming from though so that wouldnt really help

Old 04-03-2010, 02:45 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 315
Classifieds Rating: 6
Send a message via AIM to ReYnd
I have a leak in the same spot. It's coming from the area where the oil pan meets the oil pump/front cover gasket, leading me to believe it's the gasket for the latter. Or maybe even the oil pan sealant gave up, because I also have high oil pressure. If your balance shafts have been deleted, check your oil filter housing for the enlarged relief hole. High pressures will kill gaskets in a hurry, anywhere they can.

PS. Post pics if you pin-effin'-point where yours is leaking, I haven't had a chance to tear into mine yet, and it wears on my sanity to consider everything it could be.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 9
I had the same problem.... ended up being the damn valve cover was cracked

Old 04-04-2010, 02:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 19
Photos: 9
G'day,
When you say drivers side, is that the side where the belt drive for the cams and the oil pump are. If so my bet would be the oil seal on the crank. It will leak after a while from the extra pressure in the sump from blow-by under boost.
Cheers
Ross

Last edited by thirsty; 04-04-2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-04-2010, 10:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 34
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 2
I also have an oil leak on the same side and if i leave the car idling for a while it will continue to drip and leave a small puddle of oil. I can tell it is coming from the top becasue the oil goes pretty high up. I took off my cam gear cover and looked around the camshaft seals and sure enough there was oil around them. So for sure check the camshaft seals.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,309
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: -1
I have a leak where the oil pan meets the block. The idiots that rebuilt the motor didnt use an oil compatible gasket maker and it leaks bad. I can see it seep and flow down toward the OFH. It caused the timing belt to get soaked with oil. The valve cover is also cracked at the spark plug well so it is leaking oil from there as well.

But if you dont see oil in either of those areas, take the upper timing cover off and see if there is oil around the cam seals. If not, it is probably from the front case.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi1991awd View Post
I have a leak where the oil pan meets the block. The idiots that rebuilt the motor didnt use an oil compatible gasket maker and it leaks bad. I can see it seep and flow down toward the OFH. It caused the timing belt to get soaked with oil. The valve cover is also cracked at the spark plug well so it is leaking oil from there as well.

But if you dont see oil in either of those areas, take the upper timing cover off and see if there is oil around the cam seals. If not, it is probably from the front case.
it's not from the oil pan gasket, not from the valve cover... idk about the cam seals and it very well could be the crank case... hope i can find it.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 291
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 7
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon31
Aa dsm8883 said put some dye in the oil drive it and im sure it will glow when u put the light on it. used this to find many leaks works well and is pretty cheap.