The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

oil leak driver side

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyquik22023

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2008
Akron, Ohio
I have a oil leak that i cannot pinpoint. it it coming from the drivers side by the oil pan but it is not the oil, not from the OFH, and not from the turbo. it drips down onto the side of the oil pan and the drips off the oil pan. any ideas???

I have a leak in the same spot. It's coming from the area where the oil pan meets the oil pump/front cover gasket, leading me to believe it's the gasket for the latter. Or maybe even the oil pan sealant gave up, because I also have high oil pressure. If your balance shafts have been deleted, check your oil filter housing for the enlarged relief hole. High pressures will kill gaskets in a hurry, anywhere they can.

PS. Post pics if you pin-effin'-point where yours is leaking, I haven't had a chance to tear into mine yet, and it wears on my sanity to consider everything it could be.

G'day,
When you say drivers side, is that the side where the belt drive for the cams and the oil pump are. If so my bet would be the oil seal on the crank. It will leak after a while from the extra pressure in the sump from blow-by under boost.
Cheers
Ross :thumb:

Last edited:
I also have an oil leak on the same side and if i leave the car idling for a while it will continue to drip and leave a small puddle of oil. I can tell it is coming from the top becasue the oil goes pretty high up. I took off my cam gear cover and looked around the camshaft seals and sure enough there was oil around them. So for sure check the camshaft seals. :thumb:

I have a leak where the oil pan meets the block. The idiots that rebuilt the motor didnt use an oil compatible gasket maker and it leaks bad. I can see it seep and flow down toward the OFH. It caused the timing belt to get soaked with oil. The valve cover is also cracked at the spark plug well so it is leaking oil from there as well.

But if you dont see oil in either of those areas, take the upper timing cover off and see if there is oil around the cam seals. If not, it is probably from the front case.

I have a leak where the oil pan meets the block. The idiots that rebuilt the motor didnt use an oil compatible gasket maker and it leaks bad. I can see it seep and flow down toward the OFH. It caused the timing belt to get soaked with oil. The valve cover is also cracked at the spark plug well so it is leaking oil from there as well.

But if you dont see oil in either of those areas, take the upper timing cover off and see if there is oil around the cam seals. If not, it is probably from the front case.

it's not from the oil pan gasket, not from the valve cover... idk about the cam seals and it very well could be the crank case... hope i can find it.

Aa dsm8883 said put some dye in the oil drive it and im sure it will glow when u put the light on it. used this to find many leaks works well and is pretty cheap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back