Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 20
Send a message via MSN to slickonice

Upper radiator hose high pressure

So after driving my gsx around tonight i noticed a bit of steam coming from the hood. I checked it out and it looks to be my overflow bottle. It's been getting more full of coolant every time i look at it. And my upper radiator hose is hard as a rock and bloated like a pig. It has a 13 psi radiator cap from auto zone.
I was reading and people were saying its probably the head gasket. My coolant looks fine and the oil isn't milky or anything. Could the thermostat be the issue?
Thanks!

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 291
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 7
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon31
does the lower radiator hose get hot ?
View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 4
does the UPER radiator hose get hot ? IF IT DOESNT YOU COULD HAVE A BAD THERMOSTAT, BROKEN WATER PUMP OR CLOGGED RADIATOR
AND IF IT DOES GET HOT, THE MOST PROBABLE THING IS THAT YOUR RADIATOR CAP IS NOT WORKING LIKE IT SHOULD, INSPECT THE GASKETS OF THE CAP THAT GO INTO THE RADIATOR.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 57
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 0
Well just get a new thermastat and coolant temp sensor they are both like $15 or less at autozone, both are a cheap and easy fix, try that first.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 68
are you overheating at all?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Probationary Member

okay thanks, i'll run to auto zone tomorrow. I'm not overheating at all. The upper radiator hose gets hot to the touch. I didn't check the lower one though

Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

check the lower 1 if its not hot try a new rad. cap and thermostat and not all bad headgaskets leak into the oil some leak external best way to find out is a compression test

Old 03-07-2010, 09:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 158
Classifieds Rating: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmkidd20 View Post
Well just get a new thermastat and coolant temp sensor they are both like $15 or less at autozone, both are a cheap and easy fix, try that first.
Coolant temp sensor has nothing to do with your problem...so dont wast your money on one. Pull your thermostat put it in boiling water make sure it opens and closes. If it doesn't that could be your problem. If it does then you might have issues somewhere else. A blown head gasket doesn't always mix oil and coolant, It could be blown and pushing coolant. You could also have air in your system also. A bad radiator cap could also cause the same issues you are having.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Another thing, my overflow bottle got burned a while back and the cap doesn't really seat or seal, it just kinda sits on top. That wouldn't cause problems, would it? And I just took my car for a drive and when I get back checked the radiator hoses. Top one is hot and puffy and lower one isn't nearly as hot.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 158
Classifieds Rating: 10
I dont think your coolant bottle would cause your issues, Check your thermostat

Old 03-07-2010, 09:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 52
Send a message via AIM to 4g63thermal
high pressure in the upper hose could be a thermostat try testing it like stated earlier in boiling water

Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Probationary Member

okay, i'll pull it out and test in boiling water. Thanks for all the input!!

Old 03-07-2010, 09:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

just buy a new radiator and cap both cheap and will probably solve ## issue

Old 03-07-2010, 09:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

did you mean thermostat?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Probationary Member

The radiator is an aluminum mishimoto with about 2 months on it. I'll pick up a new cap in the morning, hopefully that does it.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

i dont think you need a new radiator

Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 57
Photos: 5
Does your car blow smoke out the exhaust?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

yeah i ment thermostat and radiator cap sorry its like 1 in the morning here

Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,305
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
i'll run to auto zone tomorrow
Stay away from "AutoSHITzone" junk! Get you a better cap from NAPA or similar.

I had the same problem happened last summer and outside of a cap that went bad, I did a system flush with taking out the radiator and flushing the crud out of that thing along with flushing out the heater core before I restored my system. I got a 13lb cap from NAPA and my system is back to normal.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Probationary Member

okay well today I replaced the radiator cap and the thermostat. The old thermostat was pretty crusty and I couldnt get it to open up with boiling water. It seems like this helped, the hose doesn't look as bloated anymore.