The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

my car is eating gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99Mitsu

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 10, 2009
Chiacgo, Illinois
OK, I last month I replaced my o2 sensor (the one by the turbo). My car was getting about 22mpg highway and 18 city. In the last week my car has been going through gas like water. I now go about 75 miles city and my gauge is at half. I dont see or smell anything wierd in my engine so i dont think its a gas leak.

Now I have an exhaust with no catalytic, I dont know it the o2 sensor could throw off my mixture if I have no cat.

please help
Merry Eclipsemas ~ Mitsu

hook it up to a scanner and see what the ect (engine coolant temp) is. if your temp sensor is bad they will read -44 and that will use alot of gas cause the computer thinks it that cold and is running very rich to warm up the motor faster. it won't always set a cel either so just check.

so your getting about 150 to a full tank??? well your going to find out that alot of dsmers are getting about 15-17 mpgs so its not like if your going to be a minority when it comes to that..... but like pj91gsx said: do a boost leak test.

Do you have a CEL?

When was the last time you changed your plugs and wires? I had a similar gas mileage issue earlier this year. Turned out my plugs were sh!t (not to mention 3 Champions and a Boush). I had gotten the car about 5 months prior and hadn't had a chance to (nor did I pay it any mind for some reason) to change them. Needless to say, I was furious and I walked to Kragen for a new set of NGKs. Point is, after I changed them, I got better fuel economy. Also, check your fuel filter, air filter, and fill up with Shell (if you don't already). I've noticed very nice results when I use Shell gas vs others, but that's just my opinion.

@boostd mitsu; what kind of scanner do i need? would an OBDII scanner show engine temp?

@dsmtun3er; dont know what a CEL is and what do i need for a boost leak test

@boost addict; im running NGK plugs and wires, put them in back in july

@eclipserGST; since I dont have EMPROM i dont know how to reset my ECU

CEL= check engine light. and umm for a boost leak test you need a boost leak tester LOL. you could either buy one or make one yourself. if you serch enough you can find one real easy. its a vacuum leak tester, they even sell em like at autozone

A CEL is a check engine light.

i would do plugs, wires, fuel filter, maybe clean the injectors and definitely do a boost leak test.

an OBD2 scanner should show you live data, a CEL in a check engine light, and to reset the ecu all you have to do is disconnect to battery for like a minute or two. do you have a hard start condition?

Not all OBD@ scanners have that capability.... you have to get the really expensive ones. maybe a few cheaps ones may have it as well not quite sure

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back