The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Ebay XTD stage 3 clutch and flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dale187

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 28, 2008
Dover, Delaware
Well it's time for a clutch now something more meetier than the stock one. For a while i have alwys used a stock clutch. Well after my front mount and tranny install i went back to the track and was amazed the power the front mount made me and that it was just too much for stock clutches anymore.. I launched at 5250 and the clutched slipped all the way through 3rd and i ran a 13.50. So i'm thinking i should be running 13.10s and ###### making like 270 to the wheels. Crazy thing is when i get on my car from a 1st ger roll it never slips.. Only after i launch. But that sounds right like the clutch is heating up and getting soft and then slipping. But anyways i want a nice heavy duty clutch with still a decently soft peddle and i heard that they are pretty nice. I used one in my turbo civic and it held fine. Just wanted to know how they run in these cars. Let me know guys. Thanks!

Personally I loved my Exedy stage 1 clutch kit (2100lbs). Held up just fine to around 350whp and never really slipped on me and I put over 35000 miles of abuse on it. If my goals weren't for much higher I'd throw another one of those in my car in a heart beat!

I'm using this XTD stage 4 clutch. XTD® STAGE 4 CLUTCH KIT -ECLIPSE /TALON /LASER TURBO:eBay Motors (item 350270110118 end time Nov-24-09 19:36:07 PST) I have no complaints after 1500 miles of street use. The throw out bearing was steel sleeved so I just threw it away & used an OEM one. It chattered in stop & go L.A. traffic when it was new, but not so much after break- in. So far it's performing way better than the Fidanza 3.2 it replaced. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/240420-fidanza-clutch-thread-5.html#post151890981

I might just go with that.. the unsprung is that a puck disk too?

Yep, same as the one in the link on ForceItIn's post.

Personally I loved my Exedy stage 1 clutch kit (2100lbs). Held up just fine to around 350whp and never really slipped on me and I put over 35000 miles of abuse on it. If my goals weren't for much higher I'd throw another one of those in my car in a heart beat!

That's what I have now, it's pretty decent. You have to remember the the OP has an awd, which will be a lot harder on a clutch than a fwd like you and I have.

unsprung puck disk are so hard on you drivetrain for dding

unsprung puck disk are so hard on you drivetrain for dding

Yeah I've heard that, but the people who have the xtd stage 4 ALL say that it's not that bad after break-in. Maybe the PP isn't as harsh idk?

Anyway next clutch change I do I'll be dropping an xtd stage 4 in.

Yeah I've heard that, but the people who have the xtd stage 4 ALL say that it's not that bad after break-in. Maybe the PP isn't as harsh idk?

Anyway next clutch change I do I'll be dropping an xtd stage 4 in.

I ran an xtd stage 4 in my galant vr4. The stage 4 comes with a different pressure plate, and an unsprung puck disk. I don't have any problems with an unsprung clutch in traffic. The clutch held 30+ psi from an hx40, without issue. People that expect stock engaugement on such a small clutch, holding 500ft/lbs, are going to keep burning up stock style disks, and pushing the crank out of the block with unneeded superheavy duty pressure plates.

I was thinking about buying one of these but was unsure of he quality and how well it would hold up. didnt want to have to replace it a week later. but since everyone is having no problems i think i'll order me one. what is better to have sprung or unsprung ? thanks

May as well get the Stage 4...it's only 170$...170$ for a clutch is nothing when proven brand names go for 350+

I have a 6 puck XTD stage 3. Its been on for a good 6k miles and I haven't had it slip once and I run 22 psi on a 14b turbo

i have an xtd stage 3 no problems yet but just so you know and ill speak for the stage 3 atleast when i say this... its a oem pressure plate spray painted red and a 6 puck sprung disc

I have heard many bad things like the pucks falling off, and disc's grenading at 7500 miles. If you google this many issues from other forums come up and many people swear by these clutches then at 7500 miles they grenade BAM. I had a stage 4 and when I installed it the grooves in the clutch were not machined correctly and it would not slide onto my input shaft. I had to use a rat tail file and file them more. PITA. Used it for 1500 miles then I sold the car.

I think i will be ordering the stage 4 unsprung from SuperSpeed a eby compnay. They have a business telephone numer and everything and their reps are really good.. What about the lightweight XTD flywheel they over... It's 11.5 lbs. Anyone tried these flywheels? And people that have tried the stage 4 unsprung. How hard is the pedal? I like a hard pedal, i heard people were saying the pressure plate was different.

Do yourself a favor and get a sprung disc if you plan on driving on the street at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back