Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 76
Classifieds Rating: 0

nj idle time law

Hello, does anyone know what the idle time law in NJ is ?, i had my dsm idling for 2 minutes inside my driveway when my neighbor came to my driveway arguing that it was "illegal" to leave my car on at all, i was in the car with my friend, waiting for the turbo to cool down. he said that the fumes could go to hishouse and could kill his family, my car does not smoke at all, i just have BPU: 3" DP, 3"catback, a 3" high flow cat converter, and 2 resonators 10" and 12'' , my car is extremely quiet. is there anything illegal? he threated to call the cops but he backed out, i want to be ready if this happens again, any thoughts appreciated
thank you.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,632
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to Artago
I don't know about New Jersey, but in Vancouver Canada it's 5 minutes then a $100 ticket. It's been in effect for several years now.

I've never been called on it, nor have I seen anyone else been called on it.

If it happens again, just tell your neighbor to call the cops and when they get there, kindly explain that idling down is NORMAL operation for a turbo charged car as is actually written in the owners manual. If you have the manual then you can show them.

They should agree with you, drop the matter, and your neighbor will look like an a$$hole.

Tom

Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 152
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 13
Send a message via MSN to Talon64
Well your neighbor sounds like a dick but yeah its the law. No longer than 3 minutes of idling
View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-17-2009, 01:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 09 Nissan Versa SL
Tech Posts: 1,433
Classifieds Rating: 1
Idle laws here in the states pertain to semis in truck stops. I didn't think they had anything for cars. Semis burn alot more fuel than cars. Also tell your idiot nebior that its not going to kill his family unless you run a duct from your exhaust all the way into his house and then they all fall asleep then a couple hours later maybe. But good lord people are freaks now a days about the enviorment. Hell my great great grandkids will be dead before the world is gone. So by that I'm not worring about it. Yes I recycle my plastic and soda cans but I dont freak about my car idling. Hell that dude would of died if he saw me on asphalt jobs last summer I would sit in the truck for hours not moving idling.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 419
Photos: 3
Wow, we dont have an Idle law In Sheboygan.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 152
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 13
Send a message via MSN to Talon64
actually its 3 minutes for diesels. 15 minutes for vehicles

Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 338
Just tell him to go back in his house with his miserable life and leave you alone. Or you will call the cops on him for harrasment.

Here in houston, I routinly see ppl leave there vehicals running for ALONG! time.
Im not even going to go into how long cops leave their cars running, while they are sitting in it or sitting in the corner store drinking coffee and chatting with the attendants.

They even have a nifty switch under the dash that prevent ppl from putting the car in gear, because they leave the cars unattended and idleing for so long in parking lots.

Tolerance is freedom. Think about that one for awhile.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 1990 Dodge Colt
Tech Posts: 780
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to dsmfa9nutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Semis burn alot more fuel than cars.

Actually semi's use about the same amount of fuel to idle, average is .3-.5 gallons per hour of idling compared to about .3 for a non-dsm 4 cylinder. I'm sure with idle surge and 1000rpm idling for big cams, dsm's are around .5.

OP, tell your neighbor to go bite a dick. Most of the idling laws have a workaround clause, ie, pop your hood and you can be "diagnosing engine/engine repair" and you can idle for hours if you want to.

Visit dsmfa9nutter's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 695
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to lacroixdp
If I had some hippy tell me that, I'd purposefully leave my car idling for a half-hour with me in it the rest of the week. I'd make darn sure they saw me doing it too. In addition, I'd make sure they saw me throwing away a big garbage bag full of cans and plastic, instead of recycling it (which I do once a week). Then, I'd pump gas yourself, instead of letting your gas station pump it for you... make sure they see that too! I swear, the People's Republic of New Jersey has some of the silliest rules I've ever seen! Nothing pisses me off more than people sticking their nose where it has no business being.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 79
Classifieds Rating: 3
wow I didnt even know they had such a dumb law...

Old 06-17-2009, 02:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 419
Photos: 3
Right? Me either.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 207
When I was in Japan, everyone would leave their cars idling for a half an hour when they went into a grocery store, with the windows open and their cellphones and ipods on the seat in plain view And in Japan they are crazy about every other environmental thing. Like when you put your garbage out, it HAS to be separated into different colored bags for paper, plastic, glass, metal and burnables, or else it will not be picked up, and the garbage men will come to your house and pester you, since you have to write your name and address on all your bags. Crazy, but they don't care about having an entire parking lot of idling cars all day

Old 06-17-2009, 02:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 768
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to 1fastlaser
Sounds like your neighbors just bored, and doesnt want to hear your car. Its virtually impossible for what he said to happen.

I have neighbors like that. Its funny the other night I was about to go out and was checking my stuff over, and cop comes threw and said someone called and complained about a white car with its radio too loud. To bad my cars radio sucks, and wasnt even on. I told him my battery is completly dead thats what im working on. Cop just laughed and said have a good night. Some people just like to complain.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 25
Hey all you guys in New Jersey, I got a ? for you. Doesn't New Jersey have the most landfill sites, garbage sites, and one of the biggest violators of EPA laws in the entire country? You know, smokestacks, air pollution and the like? I'm pretty sure Texas is, cause it's so frickin' big. (especially Houston) And these neighbors flip out over (your) one car? Crazy.

I'm not knocking NJ, by the way, one of my good friends is from Jersey...cool guy.