The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

nj idle time law

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmproject1

10+ Year Contributor
May 31, 2008
Secaucus, New_Jersey
Hello, does anyone know what the idle time law in NJ is ?, i had my dsm idling for 2 minutes inside my driveway when my neighbor came to my driveway arguing that it was "illegal" to leave my car on at all, i was in the car with my friend, waiting for the turbo to cool down. he said that the fumes could go to hishouse and could kill his family, my car does not smoke at all, i just have BPU: 3" DP, 3"catback, a 3" high flow cat converter, and 2 resonators 10" and 12'' , my car is extremely quiet. is there anything illegal? he threated to call the cops but he backed out, i want to be ready if this happens again, any thoughts appreciated
thank you.

I don't know about New Jersey, but in Vancouver Canada it's 5 minutes then a $100 ticket. It's been in effect for several years now.

I've never been called on it, nor have I seen anyone else been called on it.

If it happens again, just tell your neighbor to call the cops and when they get there, kindly explain that idling down is NORMAL operation for a turbo charged car as is actually written in the owners manual. If you have the manual then you can show them.

They should agree with you, drop the matter, and your neighbor will look like an a$$hole.

Tom

Idle laws here in the states pertain to semis in truck stops. I didn't think they had anything for cars. Semis burn alot more fuel than cars. Also tell your idiot nebior that its not going to kill his family unless you run a duct from your exhaust all the way into his house and then they all fall asleep then a couple hours later maybe. But good lord people are freaks now a days about the enviorment. Hell my great great grandkids will be dead before the world is gone. So by that I'm not worring about it. Yes I recycle my plastic and soda cans but I dont freak about my car idling. Hell that dude would of died if he saw me on asphalt jobs last summer I would sit in the truck for hours not moving idling.

Just tell him to go back in his house with his miserable life and leave you alone. Or you will call the cops on him for harrasment.

Here in houston, I routinly see ppl leave there vehicals running for ALONG! time.
LOL Im not even going to go into how long cops leave their cars running, while they are sitting in it or sitting in the corner store drinking coffee and chatting with the attendants.

They even have a nifty switch under the dash that prevent ppl from putting the car in gear, because they leave the cars unattended and idleing for so long in parking lots.

Tolerance is freedom. Think about that one for awhile.

Semis burn alot more fuel than cars.

Actually semi's use about the same amount of fuel to idle, average is .3-.5 gallons per hour of idling compared to about .3 for a non-dsm 4 cylinder. I'm sure with idle surge and 1000rpm idling for big cams, dsm's are around .5. ROFL

OP, tell your neighbor to go bite a dick. Most of the idling laws have a workaround clause, ie, pop your hood and you can be "diagnosing engine/engine repair" and you can idle for hours if you want to.

If I had some hippy tell me that, I'd purposefully leave my car idling for a half-hour with me in it the rest of the week. I'd make darn sure they saw me doing it too. In addition, I'd make sure they saw me throwing away a big garbage bag full of cans and plastic, instead of recycling it (which I do once a week). Then, I'd pump gas yourself, instead of letting your gas station pump it for you... make sure they see that too! I swear, the People's Republic of New Jersey has some of the silliest rules I've ever seen! Nothing pisses me off more than people sticking their nose where it has no business being.

When I was in Japan, everyone would leave their cars idling for a half an hour when they went into a grocery store, with the windows open and their cellphones and ipods on the seat in plain view :ohdamn: And in Japan they are crazy about every other environmental thing. Like when you put your garbage out, it HAS to be separated into different colored bags for paper, plastic, glass, metal and burnables, or else it will not be picked up, and the garbage men will come to your house and pester you, since you have to write your name and address on all your bags. Crazy, but they don't care about having an entire parking lot of idling cars all day :confused:

Sounds like your neighbors just bored, and doesnt want to hear your car. Its virtually impossible for what he said to happen.

I have neighbors like that. Its funny the other night I was about to go out and was checking my stuff over, and cop comes threw and said someone called and complained about a white car with its radio too loud. To bad my cars radio sucks, and wasnt even on. I told him my battery is completly dead thats what im working on. Cop just laughed and said have a good night. Some people just like to complain.

Hey all you guys in New Jersey, I got a ? for you. Doesn't New Jersey have the most landfill sites, garbage sites, and one of the biggest violators of EPA laws in the entire country? You know, smokestacks, air pollution and the like? I'm pretty sure Texas is, cause it's so frickin' big. (especially Houston) And these neighbors flip out over (your) one car? Crazy.

I'm not knocking NJ, by the way, one of my good friends is from Jersey...cool guy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back