The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Different CAS's ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trav83

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Binghamton, New_York
Why are these CAS's different?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The green top CAS came from 91-92 DSM. It uses optics to sense the position.

The black top CAS came from a 93-94 DSM. It uses the Hal effect, which has better resolution then the optics.

Darren
6Bolt

Ok reading about how the 'hall' effect that the black top CAS has is better, I went ahead and put it on my motor and set the timing. I know the normal setting is 5 degrees. When I was finished I checked it one more time (with the ecu still bypassed) and it was at about 6 or 7... :rolleyes: must have moved a little bit when I was tightening the bolts.

I really didn't feel like loosening the bolts again and taking the intake off once again, so I left it at 6-7 degrees, That won't hurt anything being advanced a little right?

Why would you need to pull the intake?? Point timing light at crank and read timing, loosen cas and rotate a TINY bit, read timing again. Repeat until it's where you want it, then tighten bolts down.

Why would you need to pull the intake?? Point timing light at crank and read timing, loosen cas and rotate a TINY bit, read timing again. Repeat until it's where you want it, then tighten bolts down.

Because I have a pain in the ass bracket that goes from the left bolt on the CAS to the throttle body (as shown in the middle of the pic), and to loosen the bolts on that bracket I have to remove the intake pipe :| I guess if I really wanted to I could just get rid of the bracket.
bracket.jpg

My question still stands too, is it ok to run a couple degrees advanced?

It's not the greatest thing to do, your ecu *thinks* it's starting off at 5* everytime it adjusts the timing for gas/rpm/knock. If you have it at 7, that 29* advance the ecu thinks it's putting to the motor becomes 31* and your chance to make it pop increases. That bracket there is only for lifting the engine (installing) at the factory. There's no need for it unless you're insanely paranoid that somehow your intake manifold is going to fall off your engine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back