Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 6

HELP have fuel and spark but no start.

i hav a 1g awd 5spd. i was driving fine pulled up to a stop light wnt to take off and it putted like out of gas and wont start now. im getting fuel and spark but no start. ive replaced the fuel pump and fpr. also were is the cas located so i can move there nxt. also it cranks and sounds like its gna start evry other crank but then keeps cranking

Compression Test. left to right 135-0-0-100
Im ordering a head gasket so besides that were is the best place to start

Last edited by theo33; 06-09-2009 at 12:51 PM.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 85
Classifieds Rating: 0
check your battery connections and altenator, the CAS is located right next to the thermostat housing,on passenger side on the head

Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

here ya go man

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/atta...sonata-cas.jpg

Old 06-04-2009, 02:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Probationary Member

so i was just checking wiring and fuses and found nothing but i started cranking on it and it started really rough spiting and sputtering then died a few seconds later. have no idiea what would cause this

Old 06-04-2009, 02:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

now its sounding to be more like an air delivey problem check all your piping from turbo tom intake manifold, make sure everything is tight,i realy dont belive the CAS has anything to do with this, maybe your MAF but right now im guessing something not clamped or tightened enough check your vaccum lines as well, by the way what kind of mods are you running?

Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 66
Classifieds Rating: 1
I would say that it sounds like your mass air flow sensor is bad.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Probationary Member

i went checked and tightend all intake pipes still nothing so i orderd a new maf. proly b here next week ill post how it goes. thanks

Old 06-06-2009, 01:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,289
Photos: 46
Classifieds Rating: 39
Send a message via AIM to rEclipserGST Send a message via Yahoo to rEclipserGST
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo33 View Post
i went checked and tightend all intake pipes still nothing so i orderd a new maf. proly b here next week ill post how it goes. thanks
Does it start with Starting Fluid? That would help in narrowing down the problem. If it starts with that, chances are its still a fuel problem. Do a boost leak test & compression test while your at it.
Visit rEclipserGST's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-06-2009, 04:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 4
Send a message via AIM to gridbum Send a message via MSN to gridbum
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo33 View Post
i hav a 1g awd 5spd. i was driving fine pulled up to a stop light wnt to take off and it putted like out of gas and wont start now. im getting fuel and spark but no start. ive replaced the fuel pump and fpr. also were is the cas located so i can move there nxt. also it cranks and sounds like its gna start evry other crank but then keeps cranking
I had an almost identical problem, found that the aftermarket fuel pump switch had a bad ground.

I would stick with the basics if I were you. You said you have fuel and spark. Have you administrated a compression test?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 430
Photos: 3
Maybe losing compression do to a bad head gasket? Definitely do a compression check!
View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-06-2009, 06:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 4
Send a message via AIM to gridbum Send a message via MSN to gridbum
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkiller_666 View Post
Maybe losing compression do to a bad head gasket? Definitely do a compression check!
Good call. Any white smoke?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

If you dont have access to a compression check you always could... ill say first this isnt the best way or most accurate but... Take the plug off the top of your coil pack, so the cylinders dont spark. Take a spark plug out, and plug the hole of the spark plug with your thumb or finger. Turn the car over, you should feel the compression. Do to all cylinders 1 at a time. If one or two seem to have less push or none at all, bad compression. Fuel+Spark+compression=combustion. If you know you have two check the third.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 90
Photos: 2
1G-specific

I would also say compression test, If you dont have a tester most auto part stores will let you rent one. It sounds like valve timing from what you described as much as I hate to say it. Have you ever had the timing belt changed ?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Probationary Member

timing belt was just recently done and ran fine after. it blows black smoke most likly from a super rich A/F witch is making sence that it is an air problem. i havent got to compression test yet ### ive been working so much. im off to get one tho monday when i go back to 12s. thanks ill b posting maf progress ths week and compression numbers nxt week. thnks

!!!will have compression numbers in bout an hour!!!

Last edited by theo33; 06-09-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Probationary Member

so just did test. its bad from left to right #1 135 #2 o #3 0 #4 100.
were would be the best place to start on this. im ordering a performance head gasket anyway so besides that.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Pull the head off and take a look! Ive done it on my car 4 times replacing "bad" head gaskets, that turned out to be a warped head surface. You could have bad valves, a bad head gasket, warped head, improper torquing of head studs.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Probationary Member

ill b up bright and early 2maro morning ripping off the head. ill keep evry updated.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 93
Send a message via AIM to brynden29 Send a message via Yahoo to brynden29
Maybe you jumped timing when you started and bent a few valves? Might be worth checking your timing so you can know what happened before pulling the head off.

Sorry for your loss man, good luck.