The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G timing off a bit~ Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimis

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2003
Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
ok, i got a long block from a fellow dsm'er, but im thinking when he pulled it it wasn't TDC. the reason i say this, the timing marks on the cams are ok, but the mark on the crank is off, dont know the deg's but its off.

as you can see, the cams are ok
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

but the crank is not...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

what options do i have of getting this back in time? Im pulling the oil pump to remove the balance shafts, so thouse will not be in play for timing but i need the crank back to its place. Im worried if i turn the crank im going to strike some valves or something. Any pointers would be greatfull

:rocks:

With cams lined up and timing belt off and spark plugs removed, hand turn the crank to see if you can get it to TDC without hitting valves (lightly touching them won't damage them). If not, remove valve cover and turn both cams so valves on cyls 1 & 4 are as closed as possible and try crank again. When crank at TDC (on timing mark) turn cams back to timing marks. Install timing belt. Note in your picture that the cams are off by 1/2 tooth (timing mark is on one tooth peak and on the other tooth valley). Also place a straight edge between the cam sprocket bolt centers and line the marks up with it.

Thanks, luv2rallye

I was hoping that would be the answer as i dont want to remove the head to get it timed. As for the cam gears i know how to get them in time when i go to put the belt on. I've done my own timing 3 times now, just when i pull the belt I make sure its TDC. I'll turn it slowly and go from there. Thanks.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back