Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2002, 12:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 209
Classifieds Rating: 0

Can i get a Mitsubishi made key?

I bought my car and it came with this key (picture on bottom) How much would it cost for a "real" mitubishi eclipse key. This one is ghetto!
Attached Images

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 01:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 615
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to Hobbes =^.^=
I'm not sure. But you can probably go to your dealer. They probably have some blanks, or check Ebay.

Old 12-06-2002, 02:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 97GSTURBO Send a message via Yahoo to 97GSTURBO
$9 something from the dealer, it's computer cut, so they need your registration or title to prove you own the car and to provide the VIN
Visit 97GSTURBO's homepage! 

Old 12-07-2002, 09:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 494
Classifieds Rating: 14
I have a 91 Talon and I wanted eather a mitubishi or eagle key so I went to my local mitubishi dealer and they said they thought they had blanks but after looking around all they could find was some Curtis blanks. The guy was like well If you look around on EBay you might find some.

I found the mitubishi blanks on EBay for $5 dollars each, I bought them and took them in with my Curtis keys the car came with and they cut me new ones. They did NOT ask for my title or VIN. Took them about 10 minutes to make the keys.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 243
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via Yahoo to johnfsmith
I got mine cut at Sears and they didn't need my registration or title... lol
View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-07-2002, 04:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 494
Classifieds Rating: 14
Ya the only time i have ever heard of needing a title or a vin is when your trying to buy a electronicly encoded or computerized key for like your $100,000 dollar Benz, Ferrarai or something like that

Old 12-07-2002, 05:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 605
When you have a key cut from another key [like at a lock shop] you don't need proof. When you want a key made from the codes [like if you don't have a key to copy from] then you have to prove that you're the owner. Dealers require proof just to make certain that they are not assisting you in grand theft auto !!!!!!!
Now as far as getting the genuine key with the pretty hard rubber top and the insignia, I'm sure that dealers have it. I need a new key also. Mine has wires soldered across the key ring hole end to hold it together. It looks like crap.
JOEL

Old 12-08-2002, 08:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 605
From my above post... here is a pix of my mangled key:
Attached Images

Visit laserblue's homepage! 

Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 66
Send a message via AIM to jaday

New Spare Key Cut [Merged 12-8] blank number

Does anyone know of a place I can go to get a working spare key? I went to my locale Ace Hardware, but the key is too short. They cut me a second one, to see if something else was the matter, but their key for our cars is definitely 1/4" shorter than my actual key... Where has anyone else gotten a new key cut from?

Old 12-02-2007, 02:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
N/T DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,683
Photos: 18
Send a message via AIM to Locke Send a message via MSN to Locke Send a message via Yahoo to Locke Send a message via Skype™ to Locke
They used the wrong key-blank. Try HYKO B65 key-blank. If that is a no-go, Satan can cut you a new one.

Make sure the master they copy isn't twisted, or the new key may not work in some switches.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Send a message via AIM to jaday
Yeah, my actual key doesn't have any issues. They looked up in their reference book and said that this was the corresponding key. I didn't see any other blank keys that looked like they would work, but I'll give it a shot with the HYKO B65.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 10
I used to work at an Ace and they just have to line up the end of the key with the cutting wheel, instead of the.... um... thing that stops it from going in the ignition farther. Otherwise some wal marts do it too.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
N/T DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,683
Photos: 18
Send a message via AIM to Locke Send a message via MSN to Locke Send a message via Yahoo to Locke Send a message via Skype™ to Locke
Another option, if you're cheap, would be to take cut the shoulders down on your currently useless key copies. You may be able to get it in enough to work. :shrug:

Old 12-02-2007, 03:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 279
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 2
I have a key cutter, the good one, not the punch type. If all else fails, let me know and I'll cut one for you, or better yet, I'll send you the correct blank. I know for a fact I have plenty in stock, both the metal spare, and the oem type.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 15.166 @ 98.270
Tech Posts: 3,251
Send a message via AIM to 19Eclipse90 Send a message via Yahoo to 19Eclipse90
When I've had keys cut, they were always Axxess+ brand, key number 51. Had it done at Home Depot and Wal-Mart.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 498
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 6
I have had my keys cut by my cousin which worked at a locksmith. He used ilco brand keys and the number he uses is a x176 or a mit1 those both are numbers on the key

Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.748 @ 94.070
Tech Posts: 616
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 16
Send a message via AIM to fulanititoo8198 Send a message via Yahoo to fulanititoo8198
I had one made at home depot, but it came with a little point at the end, that I had to grind off. It works even though they did not want to sell it to me because of that tip.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 184
Photos: 3
home depot... got one for like 2bucks.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
Have your keys done by a real locksmith. They understand wear, how much, and how to compensate for it. Hardware stores are for getting new keys to the barn. The Ilco blank has a nice rubber head much like the original, while the Curtis keys are bland all-metal things.
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-03-2008, 02:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

1G-specific

I need the number on the back of an access key 1g.

Does anyone have a axxess copied key for a 1g.I need the number off the back of the key so i can tell the key maker witch blank it is.