The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

New Spare Key Cut [Merged 12-8] blank number

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SANiTaRiUM16

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2002
NY
I bought my car and it came with this key (picture on bottom) How much would it cost for a "real" mitubishi eclipse key. This one is ghetto!

Attachments

• ghettokey.jpg
    ghettokey.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 965
I'm not sure. But you can probably go to your dealer. They probably have some blanks, or check Ebay.

$9 something from the dealer, it's computer cut, so they need your registration or title to prove you own the car and to provide the VIN

I have a 91 Talon and I wanted eather a mitubishi or eagle key so I went to my local mitubishi dealer and they said they thought they had blanks but after looking around all they could find was some Curtis blanks. The guy was like well If you look around on EBay you might find some.

I found the mitubishi blanks on EBay for $5 dollars each, I bought them and took them in with my Curtis keys the car came with and they cut me new ones. They did NOT ask for my title or VIN. Took them about 10 minutes to make the keys.

Ya the only time i have ever heard of needing a title or a vin is when your trying to buy a electronicly encoded or computerized key for like your $100,000 dollar Benz, Ferrarai or something like that :)

When you have a key cut from another key [like at a lock shop] you don't need proof. When you want a key made from the codes [like if you don't have a key to copy from] then you have to prove that you're the owner. Dealers require proof just to make certain that they are not assisting you in grand theft auto !!!!!!!
Now as far as getting the genuine key with the pretty hard rubber top and the insignia, I'm sure that dealers have it. I need a new key also. Mine has wires soldered across the key ring hole end to hold it together. It looks like crap.
JOEL;)

From my above post... here is a pix of my mangled key:

Attachments

• key.jpg
    key.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 771
Does anyone know of a place I can go to get a working spare key? I went to my locale Ace Hardware, but the key is too short. They cut me a second one, to see if something else was the matter, but their key for our cars is definitely 1/4" shorter than my actual key... Where has anyone else gotten a new key cut from?

They used the wrong key-blank. Try HYKO B65 key-blank. If that is a no-go, Satan can cut you a new one.

Make sure the master they copy isn't twisted, or the new key may not work in some switches.

Yeah, my actual key doesn't have any issues. They looked up in their reference book and said that this was the corresponding key. I didn't see any other blank keys that looked like they would work, but I'll give it a shot with the HYKO B65.

I used to work at an Ace and they just have to line up the end of the key with the cutting wheel, instead of the.... um... thing that stops it from going in the ignition farther. Otherwise some wal marts do it too.

Another option, if you're cheap, would be to take cut the shoulders down on your currently useless key copies. You may be able to get it in enough to work. :shrug:

I have a key cutter, the good one, not the punch type. If all else fails, let me know and I'll cut one for you, or better yet, I'll send you the correct blank. I know for a fact I have plenty in stock, both the metal spare, and the oem type.

When I've had keys cut, they were always Axxess+ brand, key number 51. Had it done at Home Depot and Wal-Mart.

I had one made at home depot, but it came with a little point at the end, that I had to grind off. It works even though they did not want to sell it to me because of that tip.

Have your keys done by a real locksmith. They understand wear, how much, and how to compensate for it. Hardware stores are for getting new keys to the barn. The Ilco blank has a nice rubber head much like the original, while the Curtis keys are bland all-metal things.

Does anyone have a axxess copied key for a 1g.I need the number off the back of the key so i can tell the key maker witch blank it is.;):D

I was wondering if anyone knew the part number for an OEM Mitsu keyblank. I have a Talon TSi. Dealer said it's $13 but I can probably find it cheaper if I knew the part number.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back