The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Wont shift into gears, Transmission noise.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasCrankwalkr

Probationary Member
Aug 4, 2007
Janesville, Wisconsin
My car started fine in neutral, but when I tried to put it into gear it didn't want to go into first. I tried to put it into second and then every other gear and nothing even budged.

So after work I came back and started the car in first, jerked a little, then it went into every gear just fine. I drove it around the block and everything seemed alright.

After I parked it and came back out, I had the same problem. I started it in first again and the "transmission area" started to make a scrapping, grinding, clicking noise. It's really hard to shift into gears at a stand still and sometimes won't go in at all. When the car is turned off in first with the clutch pedal pressed in, it makes a clicking noise when it's rolling backwards. The car completely stops and wont move on a decline when it's in reverse, I was unable to get it out of reverse until we rocked the car forward to relieve the pressure. Problem quickly worsened.

The "transmission area" is making very weird scrapping, scratching, grinding noise even if you just put the clutch in, and changes sound depending on how far the pedal is depressed. The noise is also rpm dependent.

To me, it's all pointing towards the clutch needing to be replaced. Maybe something in the pressure plate came loose?

Any other ideas before I order a clutch?

Sounds like youre right on with the pressure plate/clutch idea. Main reason being you say it is RPM dependant.

Word of advice, pull the tranny to make sure. I know its a pain but there is no use in ordering parts, then pulling your tranny just to find out thats not youre problem.

If it shifts fine with the car off, it's clutch related. If not, it's tranny related.

Yes, but I would check the hydraulic system first before pulling the tranny to check the clutch assembly.

The fact that there is a strange noise associated with it almost eliminates it being just the hydraulic system to me. If it makes a clicking noise with the clutch pedal down and in a gear when the car moves while being off, I know of nothing in the hydraulic system alone that could cause this. The changing sound depending on how far the pedal is depressed also tells me that the hydraulic system is doing its job, and moving the release fork.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree on checking the slave and master cylinder before removing the tranny, and removing the tranny before ordering a clutch.

In the very least it sounds like the throw out bearing is mostly responsible for the noise. There are quite possibly other problems as well but that transmission has to come down. Its not that hard to do, plus it is necessary to do this so you know what you will need to fix it.

Good catch on the clutch being depressed. I assumed the noise was only happening with the car moving. Is the car off with this noise?

i have the exact same problem, and im glad someone anwered it. (i know this is slightly off topic) but i recently found a crack in my tranny case while i was tryin to figure out the old problem... :( is their any way i can just use 'Quick steel' or JB welld for a temporary fix?

I'm having the EXACT intermittent problem with my SHO. I'm fairly sure it's a broken strap on the pressure plate, or worn/bent/broken pressure plate fingers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back