The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

My car suddenly shut off while idling, and now wont start but it does turn over.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96gstdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2006
monroe, New_York
Was driving my car to the bank with a friend. Got there and while he was going to the atm the car suddenly just turned off instantly. Not like a normal stall or anything.
Tried to turn it on and it almost went on but didn't. Tried a few more times and it did turn over just didn't start.
I tried roll starting it and nothing either. Tried multiple times again and nothing would help it start.
Would a bad isc cause this? Or what would be the best guesses to check? I could smell fuel also so I believe it is getting fuel to the engine. The MAS is plugged in, the tps is connected as well as the isc. Checked all the connectors on for the spark plug wires and all. New spark plugs. New 190 fuel pump rewired. Any ideas on what would just make the car shut off all of a sudden when it has been running fairly decently?
It has been stuttering on and off recently though. Got much worse with the stuttering when there were some 650cc injectors in the car. It would only stutter just when getting into boost.
When I had the 650's in it was unable to boost at all. Would just stutter the whole time.

650's with no fuel management??? even if their not on there anymore... your plugs are fouled---- Get a AFPR... and new NGK's

Sorry forgot to mention that I did replace the spark plugs after putting back in my stock injectors

Check the mpi fuse first. If that checks out, check for spark.... have a buddy crank it over while you pull the plug wires off the plug. If you have spark, you will hear a slight popping sound. My best guess off the top of my head , is that you have a bad coil pack. I am going to rule out pump right now since you smelled fuel.

OK well I checked the mpi fuse(it is the one in the line running off the battery correct? If it is that cylindrical fuse then that is fine.
Checked for spark and I am getting spark. I did not smell fuel this time however.
Is there a fuel pump fuse? Or does the mpi fuse also work with that or just the injectors.
How many fuse boxes are there? Just the 2 or is there one I am not aware of?
Any other ideas I should check?

Similar situation happened to me. My balance shaft belt came off and knocked off my CPS.

If you care to read more, click here.

I have removed the balance shafts and I have a 6 bolt block with a green top CAS. That is still attached and I checked the wiring and seems to be all connected correctly from what I can tell.

Well thanks everyone for the help. Checked the fuel pump and the power wire had been disconnected due to some crazy splicing done for some reason. Connected it back up and it runs great.
Could that possibly be the cause of my stuttering problem I have been having recently? It comes and goes so maybe the connection was really loose and was cutting in and out? I also have been hitting fuel cut a bit at around 14 or 15 psi with big cams though and 450 injectors right now.
For now just happy that I can drive my car though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back