The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Driving With Bad Knock Sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xwade01

Probationary Member
Sep 13, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I drive a 90 Eclipse GST, and it throws a CEL code a right after a few minutes of driving. I had a buddy check the code and he says it was a code 31. From what I believe thats a bad knock sensor. I only boost to about 6-7psi in 1st gear, then 9-10 in 2-5 gears. It does have goo comming off the sensor so I'm pretty sure it's bad. Is driving with a dead bad knock sensor bad? And is it okay if it's not beat on or is it just a no-no??

From what I searched I couldn't really find much detail on my question about driving. It also has many topics for the knock sensor. All the help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

First off, no it is not smart to drive without a knock sensor. But, you can. I went through the same deal just a week or 2 ago when I couldnt afford the sensor. When the cel pops on for the knock sensor it automatically tells the ecu that there is a problem so it tells it that there is knock. When sensor picks up knock it retards the timing, in turn making the car feel slow. All i did was take the sensor out of the block ground it out so it sends no signal. Then wrap the sensor with a thick rag and zip tie it so that it doesnt pick up road noise as knock. Now you are driving with no knock sensor. You can blow your car to bits so DO NOT HOT ROD IT.

You can do it but your car is going to have no power. Just get it replaced as soon as you can.

First off, no it is not smart to drive without a knock sensor. But, you can. I went through the same deal just a week or 2 ago when I couldnt afford the sensor. When the cel pops on for the knock sensor it automatically tells the ecu that there is a problem so it tells it that there is knock. When sensor picks up knock it retards the timing, in turn making the car feel slow. All i did was take the sensor out of the block ground it out so it sends no signal. Then wrap the sensor with a thick rag and zip tie it so that it doesnt pick up road noise as knock. Now you are driving with no knock sensor. You can blow your car to bits so DO NOT HOT ROD IT.

I have means to replace the sensor ASAP, but i'm in the same boat as you; No funds, or no way to get the sensor brand new to completely fix the problem. A buddy of mine says his looks pretty new, and it works. So he's going to give me his knock sensor from his TSi and hopefully that'll solve the case. As for me driving it, i'm not hot rodding it at all. I usually just shift around 3-4k rpm's, and let boost get to about 5 and thats about it. I don't try to drive, but if I have to get somewhere thats only way.

Well I read a few threads about how to take the knock sensor off. The outcome is I have to basically cut that 1 and 1/16 wrench in half to get to the knock sensor and properly take it off. Well is there any other way to remove it without cutting tools in half, maybe a different route or tool to get it off??

Well I read a few threads about how to take the knock sensor off. The outcome is I have to basically cut that 1 and 1/16 wrench in half to get to the knock sensor and properly take it off. Well is there any other way to remove it without cutting tools in half, maybe a different route or tool to get it off??

I've never pulled a knock sensor off a 1g, so I can't help you there. But Craftsman wrenches are guaranteed for life, no matter what you do to them. ;)

Well good news, I replaced the knock sensor and check engine light went off. It made a helluva difference, and it made it feel like a whole new car!! Boosting 10-12 psi through all gears now. All i'm waiting for now is the data logger.

i am almost positive i have a burnt up knock sensor also, but it is not throwing me a check engine light... WTF, is that posible?

can any one ### tell me where the hell my knock sensor is located ? 93 talon non turbo..:cry:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back