Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 06:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #121 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 111
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 1
silly question, its a dsm.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:28 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #122 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 315
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 0
Reputation: sbiggi is pretty helpful and trustworthysbiggi is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to sbiggi
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_scobel

Do you people understand that by disconnecting the driveshaft from the rear diff, you can tow it how ever you want to? It would be exactly like towing a front wheel drive car.

Its not a difficult concept.
Visit sbiggi's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-12-2006, 06:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #123 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,160
Photos: 8
Reputation: DSMJim is a DSMtuners ExpertDSMJim is a DSMtuners ExpertDSMJim is a DSMtuners ExpertDSMJim is a DSMtuners ExpertDSMJim is a DSMtuners ExpertDSMJim is a DSMtuners Expert
I think they all realize that. It's more that most people are not going to pull the main drive shaft out on the street.

You either get a flat bed, or tow with the rear wheels on dollies. You simply CAN NOT tow the car with the front wheels jacked up and rear wheels on the ground, neutral or not. You will burn out the transfter case and cause other pain in in the ass to fix damage to the driveline.

If you really must tow with the rear wheels on the ground, you must pull the center drive shaft out to disconnect the rear wheels from the front.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #124 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 40
Wouldent it be better for the rear diff if you removed the rear halfshafts?

Old 05-12-2006, 12:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #125 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 799
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 9
Reputation: a_scobel is extremely helpful and trustworthya_scobel is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via MSN to a_scobel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMJim
I think they all realize that. It's more that most people are not going to pull the main drive shaft out on the street.

You either get a flat bed, or tow with the rear wheels on dollies. You simply CAN NOT tow the car with the front wheels jacked up and rear wheels on the ground, neutral or not. You will burn out the transfter case and cause other pain in in the ass to fix damage to the driveline.

If you really must tow with the rear wheels on the ground, you must pull the center drive shaft out to disconnect the rear wheels from the front.
Yep...about 2 weeks after I bought my GSX, it broke down on me..so I got a tow truck. Didn't know it had to be a flatbed though..so my car was towed with the rear wheels on the ground for about half a mile since the auto hobby shop was right around the corner. It wasn't until later that I learned all 4 wheels had to be off the ground..my car's drivetrain's been fine though. This was about 3 years ago.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #126 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,160
Photos: 8
Reputation: DSMJim is a DSMtuners ExpertDSMJim is a DSMtuners ExpertDSMJim is a DSMtuners ExpertDSMJim is a DSMtuners ExpertDSMJim is a DSMtuners ExpertDSMJim is a DSMtuners Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_scobel
Yep...about 2 weeks after I bought my GSX, it broke down on me..so I got a tow truck. Didn't know it had to be a flatbed though..so my car was towed with the rear wheels on the ground for about half a mile since the auto hobby shop was right around the corner. It wasn't until later that I learned all 4 wheels had to be off the ground..my car's drivetrain's been fine though. This was about 3 years ago.
What happens is that it heats up the transfercase and eventualy burns it into oblivion. Lucky for you it was around the corner and you probablly didn't hit any fast speeds. Have it towed 10 miles and do 60 most of the way, your screwed.

You got seriously lucky that it didn't hurt anything, but good for you either way! I just can't understand how a tow truck driver wouldn't know it' 4X4, thats just beyone me.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #127 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,754
Reputation: Quasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toQuasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toQuasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toQuasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toQuasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toQuasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to Quasimondo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMJim
What happens is that it heats up the transfercase and eventualy burns it into oblivion. Lucky for you it was around the corner and you probablly didn't hit any fast speeds. Have it towed 10 miles and do 60 most of the way, your screwed.

You got seriously lucky that it didn't hurt anything, but good for you either way! I just can't understand how a tow truck driver wouldn't know it' 4X4, thats just beyone me.
They don't know anything. They brought a regular tow truck to pick up my Subaru after I had an accident with it, even though every stinkin' advertisement they do screams about it's all-wheel-drive system.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #128 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 245
Send a message via AIM to Snobordin8
Congrats on the new car, I'd love to buy a stock 2gb Eclipse, that thing looks lovely . How many miles are on it?

Old 05-13-2006, 03:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #129 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 177
Classifieds Rating: 2
I have a question when I bought by esi I towed on a dolley but the front of the car was to low to get the front wheels on so i backed it on and had the front wheels on the ground would that have hurt it? it was in neutral and its a manual tranny.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #130 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube90
I have a question when I bought by esi I towed on a dolley but the front of the car was to low to get the front wheels on so i backed it on and had the front wheels on the ground would that have hurt it? it was in neutral and its a manual tranny.
You are fine. That wouldnt hurt a thing.

AWD must be towed on a flatbed unless the driveshaft is removed.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #131 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,540
Photos: 11
Classifieds Rating: 20
If you read the manufacter book that came with car it says flatbed. But if you want to remove drive shaft it is you decision.
Question. Do you remove drive shaft completely because rear drive shaft will still move with the rear diff unless rear axle is removed? Or tie it out of way?

Old 05-13-2006, 06:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #132 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 133
Photos: 24
Classifieds Rating: 3
Before I bought my 99 GSX it was towed solely by the front wheels. It was at an auction and I told the tow truck driver that he couldn't do that but he insisted that it will tow. Since it wasn't my car their was nothing I could do. He went really slow and didn't travel but about 200 yards at a time. Fortunately it didn't hurt anything. So obviously an AWD can be towed by the front wheels in emergency situations. Keep it slow and distances short, but do at your own risk and only when you have to.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #133 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodiedehass
Before I bought my 99 GSX it was towed solely by the front wheels. It was at an auction and I told the tow truck driver that he couldn't do that but he insisted that it will tow. Since it wasn't my car their was nothing I could do. He went really slow and didn't travel but about 200 yards at a time. Fortunately it didn't hurt anything. So obviously an AWD can be towed by the front wheels in emergency situations. Keep it slow and distances short, but do at your own risk and only when you have to.
You shouldnt ever have to. There will always be a flatbed available to you if you need it and if for som estupid reason there isnt you can remove the driveshaft if needed.

Why even risk it? What situation could there be that would force you to tow it that way?

Old 05-14-2006, 04:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #134 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 133
Photos: 24
Classifieds Rating: 3
Dont be a post whore . I was simply stating what happened prior to me owning it. I tried to get them to not do it but they still did. Actually the lot owned their own tow truck and it wasn't a flatbed.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #135 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 1989 Dodge Colt
Tech Posts: 223
Classifieds Rating: 5
So even if the front wheels were lifted by the tow truck and the rear wheels were on a tow dolly so that all 4 wheels were off of the ground it would still ruin your diff? That doesn't make any sense to me since none of the wheels would be able to turn
Visit UMR98GSX's homepage! 

Old 05-14-2006, 10:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #136 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodiedehass
Dont be a post whore . I was simply stating what happened prior to me owning it. I tried to get them to not do it but they still did. Actually the lot owned their own tow truck and it wasn't a flatbed.
Basically what I was wondering is why you would ever recommend someone to tow an AWD like you did even though you didnt have problems. Everyone knows that with the AWD system that is in DSMs you should never do it, period. I know you said to do it as a last resort but in my opinion that is still misinformation and some kid may take your advice and not be so lucky.

BTW, I am not a post whore, just trying to help the uninformed from falling victim to someones incorrect advice.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #137 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMR98GSX
So even if the front wheels were lifted by the tow truck and the rear wheels were on a tow dolly so that all 4 wheels were off of the ground it would still ruin your diff? That doesn't make any sense to me since none of the wheels would be able to turn
If you do as you just described you would be fine. All wheels must be off the ground.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #138 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 799
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 9
Reputation: a_scobel is extremely helpful and trustworthya_scobel is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via MSN to a_scobel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasertim
Basically what I was wondering is why you would ever recommend someone to tow an AWD like you did even though you didnt have problems. Everyone knows that with the AWD system that is in DSMs you should never do it, period. I know you said to do it as a last resort but in my opinion that is still misinformation and some kid may take your advice and not be so lucky.

BTW, I am not a post whore, just trying to help the uninformed from falling victim to someones incorrect advice.
He didn't give incorrect information. He said, "So obviously an AWD can be towed by the front wheels in emergency situations. Keep it slow and distances short, but do at your own risk and only when you have to." And he's right...he never said it's okay to tow like that, just in emergency situations & very very short distances.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #139 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 15.068 @ 96.440
Tech Posts: 413
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to Sbeing1

Towing a Auto AWD on all fours???

I cant figure out why my car isnt working after replacing the broken flexplate. But I just remebered that my dad towed me home after I broke down on the side of the road. He just hooked a rope to the car and I put the auto in nuetral and went home. I heard that you have to have your auto tranny running when you tow it or it will over heat the fluid. So, what may I have broke when I towed my auto home not running and on all fours?? Thanks.

BTW: My car wont go in reverse or shift, those are my symptoms.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #140 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: B5 Audi S4
Tech Posts: 104
Send a message via AIM to DNA666 Send a message via MSN to DNA666 Send a message via Yahoo to DNA666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbeing1
I cant figure out why my car isnt working after replacing the broken flexplate. But I just remebered that my dad towed me home after I broke down on the side of the road. He just hooked a rope to the car and I put the auto in nuetral and went home. I heard that you have to have your auto tranny running when you tow it or it will over heat the fluid. So, what may I have broke when I towed my auto home not running and on all fours?? Thanks.

BTW: My car wont go in reverse or shift, those are my symptoms.
Viscous coupling and/or center diff.