The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

lots of play in my steering...why

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcpierson

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2005
Cedar Knolls, New_Jersey
lately ive had a lot of play in my steering wheel and my car seems to always go a little left...i know it could be the alignment but i think its a little more serious than that...what could it be? I have a 1g fwd by the way if that makes any differenct

Most likely a tie rod end.

Put the front end in the air and have a friend hold the wheel solid (if you have no friends, just lock the steering). Grab each hub(wheel off) and see if it'll steer back and forth a little. You should be able to see if its the inner or outer joints. Replace them and go get it aligned. If you plan on hanging on to the car, this is a good chance to check the other ball joints, and replace any or grease them as needed. Keep in mind the pulling one way or the other could also be air pressure. Make sure to check that.

Autozone usually has the cheapest ones.

It could be the steering rack, but not likely. Check the above first.

Mikael said:
Most likely a tire rod end.

Put the front end in the air and have a friend hold the wheel solid (if you have no friends, just lock the steering). Grab each hub(wheel off) and see if it'll steer back and forth a little. You should be able to see if its the inner or outer joints. Replace them and go get it aligned. If you plan on hanging on to the car, this is a good chance to check the other ball joints, and replace any or grease them as needed. Keep in mind the pulling one way or the other could also be air pressure. Make sure to check that.

Autozone usually has the cheapest ones.

It could be the steering rack, but not likely. Check the above first.

thankyou...you were very helpful i appreciate it :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back