Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 07:01 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 87
Classifieds Rating: 0

battery relocation (not to trunk)

Ok I been searching all over and all I see is relocations to the trunk. What I want to do is just keep it in the same area, but lower it to where the evap canister is. My friend has this done but he bought the car like this so I am just wondering if any one has done this what kinda tray did you use , or is there a tech article out there somewhere? thanks

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 131
Project_tsi plans on doing this. PM him about this thread and see if he will chime in with some pictures and details.

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-25-2006, 10:28 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ok thanks.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,039
Photos: 13
Classifieds Rating: 13
Send a message via AIM to project_tsi
Ok, heres what I did. I used a larger than OEM sized Optima Red Top dual post battery also.

I removed the carb canister, and the OEM battery hold down tray and bracket. I ran my big wiring loom a bit out of the way, its easy to see once your down there.

I bought a steel battery tray and hold down bracket, and I wanted to bolt it directly to the frame peice of the car that houses the power steering rack. The tray was a bit too big and I had to trim off 2 or so inches on each side of the tray to fit, and also trimmed the front of the tray at an angle to give plently of clearance to the tranny and close wires. I then positioned the tray perfectly where I wanted it and attached it with a few self tapping screws and washers. I then proceeded to bolt the battery to the tray with the hold down and trim the hold down bolts.

For the ground there are 2 stock wires. The one comming from the wiring harness bolted right up but for the other wire on the firewall you will need to relocate it or replace it like I did with a longer cable.

For the poisitive there are 2 large wires and the "pack" of wires with the fuse block. One wire goes to the starter, one to the alternator, and the other is the pack of wires. I ran the starter wire directly to the top post, but I decided I wanted the pack of fuses still easily accesable so I ran a 2 guage jumper cable from the top post the hole on the pack of fuses, and mounted the fuses by the shock tower. I just zip tied it to the clutch line but it does not move at all. I also ran the alternator line to the fuse block connector. After it was all done I taped up the positive top post althought it really wasn't needed. I have about 1.5" of clearance from the top of the battery to the bottom of the throttle body elbow.

Here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GSX 158 (Custom).jpg
Views:	749
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	68213  

Name:	GSX 174 (Custom).jpg
Views:	745
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	68214  

Name:	GSX 173 (Custom).jpg
Views:	745
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	68215  

Name:	GSX 164 (Custom).jpg
Views:	746
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	68216  

93 GSX
05 Ram 1500
06 GSX-R750
View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-28-2006, 08:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 133
Classifieds Rating: 7
Send a message via AIM to seminoles2005
i bought my 92 gsx with the battery lowered. It was an optima red top and the previous owner removed all emissions and took the bracket off then he just lowered the battery straight down, not strapped to anything at all, it just sat there on top of the back of the engine bay/transmission kinda.

I was fine with it i didnt care too much i liked the easy access to the back of the intake, made it easy to get to the starter if you need to but one day my ignition fuse blew and left me sitting on the side of the road, i moved my radiator fan fuse over and turned the car on and drove it off then it blew while i was in the middle of the street, i was confused as hell. I had nothing else to do so i just grabbed the first blown fuse, spliced a couple of 16 gauge wires and stuck it in there to keep it connected and drove it home. It never gave me anymore problems until last week and while lifting the wire off the battery i noticed that the ignition wire was stripped right below the fuse box and everytime the car moved the battery it rubbed up agaist my motor mount to the point it eventually stripped the wire and grounding this power wire/blowing it.

just make sure you strap the battery down from moving

Old 09-28-2006, 10:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 3,774
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 25
Send a message via AIM to DGajre777 Send a message via Yahoo to DGajre777 Send a message via Skype™ to DGajre777
Why not just get the 1G battery relocation kit from JM Fabrications??

With battery - http://www.jmfabrications.com/catalo...cc5c181a3518e2 or
Without battery - http://www.jmfabrications.com/catalo...cc5c181a3518e2

Old 09-29-2006, 09:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGajre777
Why not just get the 1G battery relocation kit from JM Fabrications??

With battery - http://www.jmfabrications.com/catalo...cc5c181a3518e2 or
Without battery - http://www.jmfabrications.com/catalo...cc5c181a3518e2

Now this I like, even though the pic uptop looks really good for custom.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 391
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to GstRacer Send a message via Yahoo to GstRacer
hey guys well i relocated mine to the trunk, because my Magnus manifold. but i also bought the Braille small battery. its very small like the jbm kit. But the down falls in my experience is that it would go dead if i didn't drive the car everyday. i have and alarm on my car and that should be the only thing robbing power when its off. but after like 2 days of not driving it it would be dead. and i have dsmlink so thats a pain in the ass. i didn't just have to jump it but i would have to load my tune from my laptop so...... just my 2 cents

Old 11-23-2006, 09:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 391
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to GstRacer Send a message via Yahoo to GstRacer
also i put the brille battery up front in the engine bay not the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	car2 002.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	69812  

Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,193
Photos: 13
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to Black95TSIawd
To those who moved the battery down where the charcoal canister was, how protected is it from water splashing up from underneath the car? I plan to do this but am worried from having it sit so low.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 138
Classifieds Rating: 7
I have mine located down lower on the k member just like project TSI did. I drilled and taped new holes in the K member and in the frame rail for the hold down. I have not had 1 issue in the past 2 years and my car is a daily driver.