Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 10:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 132
Classifieds Rating: 0

low oil pressure at idle

Here is a picture of my oil pressure reading at idle (at normal operating tempature), which is unfortunately on the stock gauge, which I am sure is pretty inacurate:

The oil still looks good (recently changed, ~1000 miles ago) and the level is in between the 2 marks on the dipstick.

The motor has about 92000 miles on it. I am going to go to the auto parts store tomorrow and get some Lucas oil treatment to see if I can thicken up the oil a little bit and raise the pressure.

But does anyone know how much oil pressure that is in the picture on the stock gauge?

What should the oil pressure be at idle? Also, when the car revs to about 2500, or I am driving with moderate boost, the gauge at or right below the half way mark.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Visit stratt134's homepage! 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 177
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 1
i don't know what's wrong w/ it. but i have the exact same problem w/ my 1G tsi awd. mine used to read alot lower than that but i just started using 10W40 instead of 30 and it actually did bring it up a little bit. i don't know if that's relevant but it was the only thing i can think of to help you out. good luck man, and i'd appreciate any advice for the same problem as well.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-06-2006, 10:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,214
That doesn't look too bad to me, but I'm used to my 1G gauge. What oil weight are you using? You may be able to go a bit heavier.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 560
Classifieds Rating: 5
I may be wrong here but that seems normal. My 1g has low oil pressure while at idle and it goes up while driving. I have even heard of some dsm's having as low as 12psi while at idle.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 42
I think you should worry if it stays low while driving not at idle.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ielaser
I think you should worry if it stays low while driving not at idle.
That's what I wanted to hear thanks
Visit stratt134's homepage! 

Old 05-07-2006, 02:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,048
Reputation: GVR4592 is a DSMtuners ExpertGVR4592 is a DSMtuners ExpertGVR4592 is a DSMtuners ExpertGVR4592 is a DSMtuners ExpertGVR4592 is a DSMtuners ExpertGVR4592 is a DSMtuners ExpertGVR4592 is a DSMtuners Expert
I think you should get a real oil pressure gauge. What does the factory gauge tell you?

Old 05-07-2006, 05:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 1994 Subaru Impreza Spec-B
Tech Posts: 531
Photos: 5
Reputation: SinaiTSi is pretty helpful and trustworthySinaiTSi is pretty helpful and trustworthy
There's already a million threads on this. I have the same thing and basically, just about everyone seems to have this problem and it's fairly normal. Changing the sender and gauge might not be a bad idea if you're really worried about it and just for added safety. The most important thing is that you have the proper type and amount of oil. Here is a pretty good thread on it, so you can sleep at night now.

Oil Pressure Question

Old 05-07-2006, 09:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,169
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: Splitpi is extremely helpful and trustworthySplitpi is extremely helpful and trustworthySplitpi is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via MSN to Splitpi Send a message via Skype™ to Splitpi
Mine does that too. Just make sure it goes up when NOT at idle and that at idle it is above the bottom tick of the gauge.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 832
Reputation: dalatinromeo is extremely helpful and trustworthydalatinromeo is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitpi
Mine does that too. Just make sure it goes up when NOT at idle and that at idle it is above the bottom tick of the gauge.
Yup, he's right ^^^. That looks right to me as well.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 14
Photos: 3
Send a message via AIM to Boosted Again
1G-specific

mine on my 1g is a little bit below the halfway line at idle, but deff. shoots up when driving/boosting!
Visit Boosted Again's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-07-2006, 08:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 67
Send a message via AIM to 2G_RFF_GST
As long as your car isn't running poor and your CEL isn't on then there is no problem. As long as it goes up while not idleing anyway. Mine is the same way. I had REALLY low pressure and a REALLY rough idle and the CEL came on only while idleing. I got an oil change with Mobil 1 and i haven't had problems since(and i do my oil every 3000miles with mobil 1 still).
Visit 2G_RFF_GST's homepage! 

Old 05-20-2006, 06:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 215
I had the same problem, but I actually think there is a problem, sorry to bring a post back from the dead. My oil light comes on and my oil needle is a little over the bottom line, so Im not sure whats going on, any ideas? Idle is about 800.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 559
My gauge reads 75 psi at idle. 100+ at 2500 + Im pretty sure its messed up but when you turn the key forward it goes to 0 like it should. I dunno, I know if i had that high oil pressure Id have major problems. Aftermarket gauge.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 543
Reputation: Nanan is pretty helpful and trustworthyNanan is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to Nanan Send a message via MSN to Nanan
Oil pumps wear out over time, the gears slowly degrade which cuts down the oil pressure. With 150k miles on my beast the oil pressure would hang around 0.5kpa(~7.2psi) at idle. Luckly the engine ate a rod and trashed the shortblock so a new oil pump was due with a new shortblock. Owing to eliminating the balance shafts and blocking the front oiler holes for said shafts my car has a bit more pressure then most. Now at idle at normal running temp ~210F the car sits at 2kpa(~28.8psi), if you keep your B.S. expect oil pressure to be around 1-1.5kpa(~14.4-18psi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdturbobov1996
My gauge reads 75 psi at idle. 100+ at 2500 + Im pretty sure its messed up but when you turn the key forward it goes to 0 like it should. I dunno, I know if i had that high oil pressure Id have major problems. Aftermarket gauge.
Either your gauge is crap or you have a serious problem with the internal pressure regulator because that is just stupid high and would cause all kinda of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitherines
I had the same problem, but I actually think there is a problem, sorry to bring a post back from the dead. My oil light comes on and my oil needle is a little over the bottom line, so Im not sure whats going on, any ideas? Idle is about 800.
New oil pump time my friend, that is what my car was doing before it ate a rod.
Visit Nanan's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-20-2006, 08:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 28
Send a message via AIM to dizasta72389 Send a message via Yahoo to dizasta72389
My 2g reads the same, I use 10W30. At Idle mine is that same way and I have about 106k on mine. Normally when I get going and and the highway or any driving where the car is actually working or atleast reving past the idle point it goes up. I wouldnt worry about it... actually its pretty normal.
Visit dizasta72389's homepage!