Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 04:49 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 6
Classifieds Rating: 0

Steering is tight on cold start

Hi,

In the morning when I start my car and try to pull out, 90% of the days my steering is really really tight. But after about 1 minute it loosens up and is normal after that. Is there anything wrong with the belts/pump or does it just need to be warmed up? Also, sometimes when I turn my wheel left, I can hear like a belt being streched or some sort of noise, not sure if it is related.

98 Eclipse N/T

Thanks,

RishiD

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 938
Photos: 3
Reputation: weith1111 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toweith1111 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toweith1111 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toweith1111 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to weith1111
Sounds like your belt is loose or worn out. When the belt gets warm it probably doesn't slip as much and thus you get better power. Did you check the belt condition? It's $5, I'd just replace it if it's in question and hasn't been done in awhile. Check your fluid level too while you are there.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Don't know my way around an engine too well... think it is possible to change the belt myself? And for the power streering level indicator, where is that located? I looked under the hood for a bit and couldn't find it.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2006, 07:47 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,328
Photos: 22
Classifieds Rating: 5
Reputation: eclipsh is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toeclipsh is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toeclipsh is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toeclipsh is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via Yahoo to eclipsh
Is the sound you hear a groaning noise or a squealing noise? If it is a squeal then your belt is shot and you can replace it yourself with a manual. If it is a groaning noise it is the hydraulics or you are just low on fluid (not likely it it goes away when it is warm.)

You could also have a worn out power steering rack. Mine has very similar symptoms and my PS is pretty much gone when the rack is cold.

I think it is a combination of worn hydraulics and the cold shrinking all the parts. It is about 10-15 degrees at night where I'm at. That makes all the parts on the car shrink just a little bit. I do have a worn rack but it is being magnified by the "shrinkage."

I think that shrinkage is making the seals on the rack leak a hair more, resulting in a loss of power steering. Once my car is nice and warm the problem is all but gone.

So if you are having the same problems it is probably the rack too. Go under the car and see if it is covered in fluid and goo. If it is, it's probably shot.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Actually forgot to mention that my car squeels like a baby trying to turn the wheel during the warm up period, but goes away once the wheel is loose again.

I will look at the manual and check for leakage.

Thanks for the help

Old 02-28-2006, 10:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,328
Photos: 22
Classifieds Rating: 5
Reputation: eclipsh is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toeclipsh is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toeclipsh is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toeclipsh is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via Yahoo to eclipsh
If it is a squeal then it is your belt. Very easy to replace.

Oh, and before someone else yells at you for it, finish filling out your vehicle/member profile (model/year etc.).