The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Steering is tight on cold start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rishid

Probationary Member
Mar 14, 2002
Massachusetts
Hi,

In the morning when I start my car and try to pull out, 90% of the days my steering is really really tight. But after about 1 minute it loosens up and is normal after that. Is there anything wrong with the belts/pump or does it just need to be warmed up? Also, sometimes when I turn my wheel left, I can hear like a belt being streched or some sort of noise, not sure if it is related.

98 Eclipse N/T

Thanks, :thumb:

RishiD

Sounds like your belt is loose or worn out. When the belt gets warm it probably doesn't slip as much and thus you get better power. Did you check the belt condition? It's $5, I'd just replace it if it's in question and hasn't been done in awhile. Check your fluid level too while you are there.

Don't know my way around an engine too well... think it is possible to change the belt myself? And for the power streering level indicator, where is that located? I looked under the hood for a bit and couldn't find it.

Thanks

Is the sound you hear a groaning noise or a squealing noise? If it is a squeal then your belt is shot and you can replace it yourself with a manual. If it is a groaning noise it is the hydraulics or you are just low on fluid (not likely it it goes away when it is warm.)

You could also have a worn out power steering rack. Mine has very similar symptoms and my PS is pretty much gone when the rack is cold.

I think it is a combination of worn hydraulics and the cold shrinking all the parts. It is about 10-15 degrees at night where I'm at. That makes all the parts on the car shrink just a little bit. I do have a worn rack but it is being magnified by the "shrinkage."

I think that shrinkage is making the seals on the rack leak a hair more, resulting in a loss of power steering. Once my car is nice and warm the problem is all but gone.

So if you are having the same problems it is probably the rack too. Go under the car and see if it is covered in fluid and goo. If it is, it's probably shot. :|

Actually forgot to mention that my car squeels like a baby trying to turn the wheel during the warm up period, but goes away once the wheel is loose again.

I will look at the manual and check for leakage.

Thanks for the help

If it is a squeal then it is your belt. :thumb: Very easy to replace.

Oh, and before someone else yells at you for it, finish filling out your vehicle/member profile (model/year etc.).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back