Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 02:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 124
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to Matt300ZXT Send a message via Yahoo to Matt300ZXT

Best way to clean grease off frame and wheels?

I had the CV boots on my 91 driver side front go out, leaking axle grease all over the frame rails, the under part of the motor, and over on the inside of the inner wheel. I'm going to be putting in a reman or new axle here in a week or so and want to know what you guys recommend for cleaning this grease off. It's probably been on there a while. I have some Purple Lightning degreaser that worked great taking dirt and grime off the valve covers of my 300ZX but I don't know if this is going to be a strong enough cleaner to take axle grease off. I don't have access to a portable pressure washer, so I might just have to stick with steel toothed brushes and the likes and warm water to clean this off probably.

If anyone has some ideas, hit me up. Thanks.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,754
Classifieds Rating: 0
Reputation: Quasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toQuasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toQuasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toQuasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toQuasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toQuasimondo is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to Quasimondo
I've always used Simple Green, dilute it to half strength, and if it's not enough, concentrate it to 3/4 strength. Instead of spraying it on with the spray bottle, just soak the rag and wipe it down with the rag dripping wet.

Old 10-15-2005, 04:11 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 1,998
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 1
i agree, simple green and a brush and hose. i use it straight on the frame and wheel wells, 1/2 strength on rims.

jim
View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-03-2005, 10:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 48
I cleaned the frame up when I had my engine out of the car. I used Ultra Concentrated Dawn. If you have a good amount on the areas you are cleaning its amazing... comes right off. You cant skimp out though and try and clean the car with one bottle. The stuff works wonders but you got to put more fresh soap onto every area that you clean on.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 142
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: dedlewamp is pretty helpful and trustworthydedlewamp is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt300ZXT
I had the CV boots on my 91 driver side front go out, leaking axle grease all over the frame rails, the under part of the motor, and over on the inside of the inner wheel. I'm going to be putting in a reman or new axle here in a week or so and want to know what you guys recommend for cleaning this grease off. It's probably been on there a while. I have some Purple Lightning degreaser that worked great taking dirt and grime off the valve covers of my 300ZX but I don't know if this is going to be a strong enough cleaner to take axle grease off. I don't have access to a portable pressure washer, so I might just have to stick with steel toothed brushes and the likes and warm water to clean this off probably.

If anyone has some ideas, hit me up. Thanks.

They also sell some degreaser in a spray can at most auto stores. I believe Gunk makes a few, but they tend to leave behind a little greasy residue. If you want the best solution to taking off grease and whatnot, I would suggest giving a few of your local detailing shops or dealerships a call and see what they use. They often have some pretty strong stuff that they use on cars, and are usually willing to sell you some if you are nice about it. I've picked some up from my local detail shop, and I can literally spray it on, let it soak, and 15 minutes later rinse it off and it looks brand new. I don't know the name or brand, as they sold it to me in a plain container.

Brake cleaner works well too, but it will take off paint and is pretty harsh on most surfaces.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:42 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

Tech Posts: 721
on the body, i dab a little paint thinner onto a towel and wipe the spot. i then wipe the spot once more with a wet cloth just to remove any left over paint thinner. on unpainted metals, i use aluminum acid cleaner. both have worked well to me over the years because they get the job done with only one wipe.