The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Best way to clean grease off frame and wheels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt300ZXT

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 23, 2004
Chattanooga, Tennessee
I had the CV boots on my 91 driver side front go out, leaking axle grease all over the frame rails, the under part of the motor, and over on the inside of the inner wheel. I'm going to be putting in a reman or new axle here in a week or so and want to know what you guys recommend for cleaning this grease off. It's probably been on there a while. I have some Purple Lightning degreaser that worked great taking dirt and grime off the valve covers of my 300ZX but I don't know if this is going to be a strong enough cleaner to take axle grease off. I don't have access to a portable pressure washer, so I might just have to stick with steel toothed brushes and the likes and warm water to clean this off probably.

If anyone has some ideas, hit me up. Thanks.

I've always used Simple Green, dilute it to half strength, and if it's not enough, concentrate it to 3/4 strength. Instead of spraying it on with the spray bottle, just soak the rag and wipe it down with the rag dripping wet.

I cleaned the frame up when I had my engine out of the car. I used Ultra Concentrated Dawn. If you have a good amount on the areas you are cleaning its amazing... comes right off. You cant skimp out though and try and clean the car with one bottle. The stuff works wonders but you got to put more fresh soap onto every area that you clean on.

Matt300ZXT said:
I had the CV boots on my 91 driver side front go out, leaking axle grease all over the frame rails, the under part of the motor, and over on the inside of the inner wheel. I'm going to be putting in a reman or new axle here in a week or so and want to know what you guys recommend for cleaning this grease off. It's probably been on there a while. I have some Purple Lightning degreaser that worked great taking dirt and grime off the valve covers of my 300ZX but I don't know if this is going to be a strong enough cleaner to take axle grease off. I don't have access to a portable pressure washer, so I might just have to stick with steel toothed brushes and the likes and warm water to clean this off probably.

If anyone has some ideas, hit me up. Thanks.

They also sell some degreaser in a spray can at most auto stores. I believe Gunk makes a few, but they tend to leave behind a little greasy residue. If you want the best solution to taking off grease and whatnot, I would suggest giving a few of your local detailing shops or dealerships a call and see what they use. They often have some pretty strong stuff that they use on cars, and are usually willing to sell you some if you are nice about it. I've picked some up from my local detail shop, and I can literally spray it on, let it soak, and 15 minutes later rinse it off and it looks brand new. I don't know the name or brand, as they sold it to me in a plain container.

Brake cleaner works well too, but it will take off paint and is pretty harsh on most surfaces.

on the body, i dab a little paint thinner onto a towel and wipe the spot. i then wipe the spot once more with a wet cloth just to remove any left over paint thinner. on unpainted metals, i use aluminum acid cleaner. both have worked well to me over the years because they get the job done with only one wipe.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back