The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lucas PS Stop Leak a PS fluid substitute??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_scobel

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2003
Alexandria, Virginia
Just checking..Would it be alright to completely drain my PS fluid, and refill with nothing but Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak??

I don't have a leak, but I hear this stuff might work if your PS pump is whiney until the car warms up.. Figure I'd give this a shot before I drop $115 bucks on a new pump.

I don't know about DSMs because they can become quite finicky but I know a couple guys, who run Chevy motors, that come in to my work and that is all they run. They swear by the stuff.

It's an additive, not a fluid. You might try some as an additive, but not to replace the fluid completely.

He said it best, use regular PS fluid and add some of the stop leak to it, Don't try and run it without any PS fluid.

I had a bit of a 'whine' with my PS Pump that did not go away entirely by putting in fresh fluid. I used a little bit of the Lucas and it did quiet things down for me. I have been using the Lucas stuff as an additive for over a year now and have noticed no leaks or new problems since. Have you tried flushing your system out and putting in some fresh factory recommended fluid yet to see what happens? :dsm:

TotalEclipse112 said:
He said it best, use regular PS fluid and add some of the stop leak to it, Don't try and run it without any PS fluid.

Hmm alrighty then. I'll go out today & drain everything, add new fluid & a little bit of the Lucas...

I looked in the Chiltons manual..didn't say how to drain the PS fluid. So I figure you do it by a handpump in the reservoir...or not? :confused:

a_scobel said:
I looked in the Chiltons manual..didn't say how to drain the PS fluid. So I figure you do it by a handpump in the reservoir...or not? :confused:
Bah, you're supposed to crack the line at the rack and cycle it around and make fifteen kinds of goddamned mess. I'd pull it out of the resevoir and re-load, maybe a few times over a couple of weeks (fluid's cheap) and on the last time put in the additive. Use a low-pressure line on the bottom of the resevoir if you can get to it (or, just pull the resevoir from the fender and pour it out), but do not get any ps fluid into the alternator.

Defiant said:
It's an additive, not a fluid. You might try some as an additive, but not to replace the fluid completely.

Hm so I picked up a bottle..the directions says:
To control squeals and hard spots, drain reservoir and refill with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak, usually one bottle.

So it's pretty much saying you can just replace your fluid with only this stuff, eh??.. :confused:

no just use one bottle that stuff is thick i have used it and one bottle is enough

a_scobel said:
So it's pretty much saying you can just replace your fluid with only this stuff, eh??.. :confused:
That's the resevoir, not the system. It'll mix in with the rest of the fluid in the pump, lines and piston. Kind of like an automatic transmission and its torque convertor.

What the hell, if the pump's already bad, there's not a lot there to hurt, is there? Put cardboard over the alternator before working on the PS fluid.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back