Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 08:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 450
Classifieds Rating: 0
Question

my alternator is making noise, why?

First, off I have an aluminum crank pulley but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. Now, my alternator seems to get louder as I put more load onto it such as fans and subwoofer. Just want to know if that is normal or not? And, my car seems to be slightly slower when I'm using more things especially the stereo, I have a 10" sub with 700 watt amp and four speakers. I'm thinking about replacing the alternator and looking into an Optima battery. Anyways, what do you guys think of the alternator noise?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 3
Can you describe the noise any better than that? I'm wondering because I think the stereo is putting too much of a load on that alternator and it's making it produce that noise. When I installed a remanufactured alternator on my car it would squeal everytime I turned on my fan because my fan was taking a ton of amps to run and the alternator didn't work well with it. So, I traded it for a higher amp alternator, 80 or 85 amp something like that and I haven't had any problems and I run an amplifier and an Optima Battery, they work very well, well worth the price.

Or you may want to try and adjust the belt if that may help any, but ya if you're requesting more power thanthe alternator can charge, then there will be an overload on it and drag it down, causing an increase in the noise. same thing happens when you turn your wheel with the power steering, it'll increase in noise when it has that load put on it.
Hope this helps

Old 08-26-2005, 10:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,931
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 20
Send a message via AIM to blackGSX2g
Does your alternator give off the 'supercharge whine'?

Is your battery light on?

If you pull the terminals off of your battery while the car is running, does it change anything?

If any of the above is true, I'c look into getting a new alternator. Otherwise you might just be putting too much of a load on your atlernator at idle.

View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-27-2005, 12:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

yes, it does make a squeal sound, almost metallic sounding. it happens when I have high load on it. I can hear it clearly in my garage in the morning because the sound echoes right back to me so I sort of test it by turning my fan up and turning on my stereo, and that's when it makes more noise. What sort of amperage should I be looking for in a new alternator? Or should I get my stock one rewound to the amperage I want?

Old 08-27-2005, 12:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 234
Thumbs up

I am also running with a unorthodox (aluminum) Crank Pulley and my car also squeals a lot!!! It squeal everytime in the morning when i just turn on the car. Also when I turn on the A/C or when I turns on the headlights or fog lamps... It squeals for a while when load is applied to the alt, and it gets worst when I turns on the headlighst and the A/C...

I have tried with a 90amps alternator but it didn't work... Now, I get back to the OEM mitsubishi alt of 75amp (remanufactured), but still squealing. I noticed that when I adjust the belt and I left it more tightened it stop squealing but I also know that getting the belt too tightened can damage the alternator...

If you find out how to stop the horrible squeal, please let me know... I am also very desperate with that thing...

good luck!

PS: my car doesn't have any charging problems... I am reading 14.3-14.5volts. No bat lightbulb, any problem at all...

Old 08-27-2005, 03:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

I think my car is charging fine as well, but the car just seems to be slower when the alternator is working harder. it's not a lot slower but it is noticeable, especially in the low-end. I'm going to find an Optima battery from Costco and pick-up a higher amperage alternator.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 231
Send a message via AIM to fr33b1rth Send a message via MSN to fr33b1rth Send a message via Yahoo to fr33b1rth
An alternator will alsways make noise. The more of a load you put on it, the louder it will get.

Any grinding noise (like a bad water pump) means the alternator is on the way out. The reason why your car is slower when you are using it is because the more amperage you pull, the harder it is to turn the alternator. It robs power from the motor just like AC.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 234
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider85
I think my car is charging fine as well, but the car just seems to be slower when the alternator is working harder. it's not a lot slower but it is noticeable, especially in the low-end. I'm going to find an Optima battery from Costco and pick-up a higher amperage alternator.
My car doesn't feel slower, but the squeal noise of the alternator (or alternator belt, i am not sure ) is uggly!!!!

So, this squealing noise is normal on DSM??? is there any way to stop the squeal???

Thanks in advance

Sergio G.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 1
Same thing happening to me and if i have a couple things turned on the sound is unbearable , i was gonna replace the alternator but the car stays on when i diconnect the battery.

does this mean that i have a bad battery or the alternator belt is to tight?