The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

my alternator is making noise, why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slider85

15+ Year Contributor
May 21, 2004
Langley, B.C._Canada
First, off I have an aluminum crank pulley but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. Now, my alternator seems to get louder as I put more load onto it such as fans and subwoofer. Just want to know if that is normal or not? And, my car seems to be slightly slower when I'm using more things especially the stereo, I have a 10" sub with 700 watt amp and four speakers. I'm thinking about replacing the alternator and looking into an Optima battery. Anyways, what do you guys think of the alternator noise?

Can you describe the noise any better than that? I'm wondering because I think the stereo is putting too much of a load on that alternator and it's making it produce that noise. When I installed a remanufactured alternator on my car it would squeal everytime I turned on my fan because my fan was taking a ton of amps to run and the alternator didn't work well with it. So, I traded it for a higher amp alternator, 80 or 85 amp something like that and I haven't had any problems and I run an amplifier and an Optima Battery, they work very well, well worth the price.

Or you may want to try and adjust the belt if that may help any, but ya if you're requesting more power thanthe alternator can charge, then there will be an overload on it and drag it down, causing an increase in the noise. same thing happens when you turn your wheel with the power steering, it'll increase in noise when it has that load put on it.
Hope this helps

Does your alternator give off the 'supercharge whine'?

Is your battery light on?

If you pull the terminals off of your battery while the car is running, does it change anything?

If any of the above is true, I'c look into getting a new alternator. Otherwise you might just be putting too much of a load on your atlernator at idle.

yes, it does make a squeal sound, almost metallic sounding. it happens when I have high load on it. I can hear it clearly in my garage in the morning because the sound echoes right back to me so I sort of test it by turning my fan up and turning on my stereo, and that's when it makes more noise. What sort of amperage should I be looking for in a new alternator? Or should I get my stock one rewound to the amperage I want?

I am also running with a unorthodox (aluminum) Crank Pulley and my car also squeals a lot!!! It squeal everytime in the morning when i just turn on the car. Also when I turn on the A/C or when I turns on the headlights or fog lamps... It squeals for a while when load is applied to the alt, and it gets worst when I turns on the headlighst and the A/C...

I have tried with a 90amps alternator but it didn't work... Now, I get back to the OEM mitsubishi alt of 75amp (remanufactured), but still squealing. I noticed that when I adjust the belt and I left it more tightened it stop squealing but I also know that getting the belt too tightened can damage the alternator...

If you find out how to stop the horrible squeal, please let me know... I am also very desperate with that thing...

good luck! :thumb:

PS: my car doesn't have any charging problems... I am reading 14.3-14.5volts. No bat lightbulb, any problem at all...

I think my car is charging fine as well, but the car just seems to be slower when the alternator is working harder. it's not a lot slower but it is noticeable, especially in the low-end. I'm going to find an Optima battery from Costco and pick-up a higher amperage alternator.

An alternator will alsways make noise. The more of a load you put on it, the louder it will get.

Any grinding noise (like a bad water pump) means the alternator is on the way out. The reason why your car is slower when you are using it is because the more amperage you pull, the harder it is to turn the alternator. It robs power from the motor just like AC.

slider85 said:
I think my car is charging fine as well, but the car just seems to be slower when the alternator is working harder. it's not a lot slower but it is noticeable, especially in the low-end. I'm going to find an Optima battery from Costco and pick-up a higher amperage alternator.

My car doesn't feel slower, but the squeal noise of the alternator (or alternator belt, i am not sure :confused: ) is uggly!!!!

So, this squealing noise is normal on DSM??? is there any way to stop the squeal???

Thanks in advance

Sergio G.

Same thing happening to me and if i have a couple things turned on the sound is unbearable , i was gonna replace the alternator but the car stays on when i diconnect the battery.

does this mean that i have a bad battery or the alternator belt is to tight?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back