The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How do I test cam sensor and crank sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cramec2

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2004
Manchester, Connecticut
What is the procedures on how to test the cam postion sensor and crank angle sensor?Book all points to special tools.I what to use a multi meter.All the values they give are for special do-dad

all you need is a voltameter.
to test the camshaft sensor, turn the key on and check the supply voltage at terminal number 3.(should be around 12 volts)also check #1 to be sure it should be 4.8-5.2 volts
crank sensor is the same but check terminal #2 instead of #1.
also check terminal #4 for constant ground.
hope this helps...let me know if you need that clarified at all! :thumb:

Both the cam and crank sensor will have a power, ground, and a signal wire. You basically want the signal wire but the trick with a 2g is to trigger the signal. The easiest way that I can think of doing this is to simply turn your engine over slowly by hand until the trigger plate causes the signal to go high for each. Can I ask why you need to test these?

After I rebuilt engine I now have no spark..It ran fine B4 I pulled engine..All wire are plugged in I labled them all..If engine is time 180 out will it still spark?

I have a good question for you guys that is related to this. I have a 95 gsx that wa salvaged. I have both cam and crank angle sensors but, cannot find my wiring harness. Either it got ripped out and I can't find it. I looked in one of my manuals and cannot get an accurate description or where it is located. I searched all over my enginne bay. If there is any way someone can trace there wires back to the harness to see what other wires it connects to(ie. coolant sensor, spark, bcs, etc) It would be very helpful for me. If anyone has any input for me I would defenatly utilize it. Thanks

The best way to test the cas is to buy a fairly cheap volt meter that has a frequency meter built in. Alot of the cheaper ones have that feature now. The next step would be to crank the engine over while probing the output wire(s) on the cas (you will have to get a schematic to find the output wires). If you have a good cas you will see a frequency generated on the output line(s) otherwise it will be a flat liner, and it's then a paper weight. :dsm:

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but is the procedure for a 420a the same?
And are the voltages that I am looking for the same?

The haynes manual is a POS when it comes to the camshaft sensor.

Probe results;

Terminal One; 11.56 volts
Terminal Two; Continuity checkout between it and ground
Terminal Three; Ranged from .16-5.2 when dry cranking

This sound like the correct ranges?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back