The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G How can you tell if your ECU is bad???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S240161

Probationary Member
Jul 23, 2005
San Diego, California
How can you tell if your ecu has gone bad by looking at it? Anyone have any pictures showing what happens when a ecu goes bad??

You should tell us some of the symptoms your car is having... When my ECU went bad (twice) in my 95 Non-Turbo, the car would intermittently die. When it would die, I could tap the ECU and I would hear the car "click" back on. Damn engine mounted ECU's...

You can open it up and see if the caps are leaking. It will also have a fish smell to it.

if its turbo when you turn the ignition to on the boost gauge should jump (factory gauge) if it doesnt its fried.. or you have an eprom chip in it

Burnett03 said:
if its turbo when you turn the ignition to on the boost gauge should jump (factory gauge) if it doesnt its fried.. or you have an eprom chip in it

Is that 1g only because I'm almost positive my car doesn't do that.

ndilo21 said:
I'm almost positive my car doesn't do that.
Go outside and check. Then tell us what your factory boost gauge does do when you turn the ignition on.

Steve

When I turn the car on the boost gauge goes a little under 0

S240161 said:
When I turn the car on the boost gauge goes a little under 0
Sounds like yours is at least powering up. If it was totally dead the gauge wouldn't move. The other thing they do on power up is turn the CEL on for a few seconds.

Steve

I took some pictures of my ecu... can anyone tell me if this is my problem... I have checked the wires and they seem to be fine....

Is that normal for all the wires to go out at once??

Attachments

• MVC-058F.JPG
    MVC-058F.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 416
S240161 said:
I took some pictures of my ecu... can anyone tell me if this is my problem...
Yes, the leakage damage is one of your problems. I revise my guess from before, you may not have blown the sensor ground. Your ECU Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) circuit is damaged among other things. That will cause you to throw lots of codes.

Steve

Im trying to find one.... But I cant

I have a 92 TSI Automatic

No one has anything in a Auto

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back