The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

symptoms of a bad axle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2004
so cal, California
what are symptons of a bad axle? I think I may have a bad axle. My front driver's side is shaking horribly at highway speeds, like my tire is flat. I have had a torn cv boot for a couple of months now, no squeeking or watever, this occured while driving home from vegas, luckily it happened when I was 5 miles away from home. I havnt had the time to look, so please tell me whats wrong. Oh and I've checked my lug nuts, and tires and everything's fine.

a bad CV joint will have symptoms of thumping around turns.

you can get away with replacing the CV boots if you do it quickly, but in your case youll need a new shaft.

shaking at the wheel can be caused by a few things. most common are your outer tie rods. they have a ball joint end and will go bad and give play hence unstablizing the wheel and causing it to shake within the given play.

but you need to replace the CV joint pronto, then go through and move your two front hubs back and forth looking for play, if there is then your outer tie rods need replacing.

Yeah, you shouldn't let a CV sit torn for so long. Replace your CV joint, then we'll see if your problem goes away or not. Your axle will make different sounds depending on how badly damaged. If the teeth are stripped, you'll hear a clicking sound as it tries to turn but slips. Anyway. Replace the CV. Also look into whether or not you need to replace ball joints, tie rods and such. You might as well do it all if it needs it while you'll be working on things of that nature. If you're not sure whether or not you need to replace them and are unsure as to what you're looking for then take it to a shop. Not a dealership. Local shops usually will tell you things like that for free, but make them show you what they're doing so you can learn.

thanks, I will replace and check all as soon as i get some money.

word of wisdom, if youre short on cash you should have replaced the CV boot when it first happend. the boots are 8$ to 15$ as oppossed to a 70$+ shaft. and the installation takes 15mins tops.

I didnt really notice the torn boot until I was changing out shocks. Grease was everywhere and dirt had already made its way there. I didnt drive the car since, but just recently drove to vegas and thats when this incident happened. It really suck balls because not only did this happen but I also got a freakin ticket there because my damn front license plate wasnt 12" off the ground. Which I have no freakin clue because I dont even live there.

thisdsm said:
I didnt really notice the torn boot until I was changing out shocks. Grease was everywhere and dirt had already made its way there. I didnt drive the car since, but just recently drove to vegas and thats when this incident happened. It really suck balls because not only did this happen but I also got a freakin ticket there because my damn front license plate wasnt 12" off the ground. Which I have no freakin clue because I dont even live there.

LOL thats absolutely retarded that they gave you a ticket! and yes the grease on the rim should have given it away a LONG time agao :cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back