Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 02:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 207
Classifieds Rating: 3

symptoms of a bad axle?

what are symptons of a bad axle? I think I may have a bad axle. My front driver's side is shaking horribly at highway speeds, like my tire is flat. I have had a torn cv boot for a couple of months now, no squeeking or watever, this occured while driving home from vegas, luckily it happened when I was 5 miles away from home. I havnt had the time to look, so please tell me whats wrong. Oh and I've checked my lug nuts, and tires and everything's fine.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 245
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to CorrupTTalon
a bad CV joint will have symptoms of thumping around turns.

you can get away with replacing the CV boots if you do it quickly, but in your case youll need a new shaft.

shaking at the wheel can be caused by a few things. most common are your outer tie rods. they have a ball joint end and will go bad and give play hence unstablizing the wheel and causing it to shake within the given play.

but you need to replace the CV joint pronto, then go through and move your two front hubs back and forth looking for play, if there is then your outer tie rods need replacing.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:06 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2008 Dodge Charger
Tech Posts: 2,556
Reputation: ddavisaf is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toddavisaf is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toddavisaf is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toddavisaf is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toddavisaf is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Yeah, you shouldn't let a CV sit torn for so long. Replace your CV joint, then we'll see if your problem goes away or not. Your axle will make different sounds depending on how badly damaged. If the teeth are stripped, you'll hear a clicking sound as it tries to turn but slips. Anyway. Replace the CV. Also look into whether or not you need to replace ball joints, tie rods and such. You might as well do it all if it needs it while you'll be working on things of that nature. If you're not sure whether or not you need to replace them and are unsure as to what you're looking for then take it to a shop. Not a dealership. Local shops usually will tell you things like that for free, but make them show you what they're doing so you can learn.
Visit ddavisaf's homepage! 

Old 06-08-2005, 11:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

thanks, I will replace and check all as soon as i get some money.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

word of wisdom, if youre short on cash you should have replaced the CV boot when it first happend. the boots are 8$ to 15$ as oppossed to a 70$+ shaft. and the installation takes 15mins tops.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

I didnt really notice the torn boot until I was changing out shocks. Grease was everywhere and dirt had already made its way there. I didnt drive the car since, but just recently drove to vegas and thats when this incident happened. It really suck balls because not only did this happen but I also got a freakin ticket there because my damn front license plate wasnt 12" off the ground. Which I have no freakin clue because I dont even live there.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisdsm
I didnt really notice the torn boot until I was changing out shocks. Grease was everywhere and dirt had already made its way there. I didnt drive the car since, but just recently drove to vegas and thats when this incident happened. It really suck balls because not only did this happen but I also got a freakin ticket there because my damn front license plate wasnt 12" off the ground. Which I have no freakin clue because I dont even live there.
lol thats absolutely retarded that they gave you a ticket! and yes the grease on the rim should have given it away a LONG time agao