The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Transaxle = Transmission? Same thing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I believe it's called trans exle because its a tranversall gear box,meaning from side to side.where as the sr20det,jgze's type are called transmissions because the y ar from front to back of the car.regardless your transaxle is a transmission.one more point i believe i was leaving out is that a tranmission has the differential seperate from the gear box.someone correct me if i'm wrong.

NO. i don't know the exact difference but i believe the transaxle is used mainly for FWD and AWD. A transmission is used for RWD models. A transaxle also has a transfer case attached to it. once again don't know the exact difference but there are.

The difference lies in the fact that there's a transmission and a differential inside the transaxle unit, whereas standard tranmissions do not have differentials. A RWD relies on a differential inside the rear axle - FWD's and most AWD's have differentials in the transaxle to drive the front wheels.

As a side effect, most transaxles are mounted transversely, while most transmissions are mounted longitudinally.

The guy at the "City Garage" said the transmission was "sealed." So I take he is a dunb-ass and they I can flush and refill the transmission flid of my 1G DSM NTon-turbo without much hassle?

trans - axle is when the transmission and axle are the same unit

FWD is usually a transaxle

our AWD has a front transaxle and rear axle

most RWD have front transmission and rear axle

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back