The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

bad Throwout bearing symptoms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

initialRES

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 27, 2003
Fort Worth, TexasUS
I've searched like crazy on this subject but can't find an answer so here's my problem.

I have a Comp 4 puck clutch with their metal sleeved TOB that comes with the disc. The disc was replaced in January, and the throwout bearing was replaced in november with maybe 10,000 miles (long story). It has worked pretty well, however every once in a while it will be very difficult to shift into first from neutral but if I keep driving, it will usually go back to normal. I chalked it up to a fluke (I already changed the fluid and bled the clutch lines). Anyway, I noticed a while ago that it would make a faint whirring noise at idle that went away when I pushed in the clutch. I figured this was just the metal throw out bearing.

Tonight I noticed that if I am coasting at like 30 mph and take it out of gear, when I stop, the whirring noise is louder than at idle. If I push in the clutch, It goes away. When I release the clutch again (still stopped), the noise is quiet like it usually is at idle. I assume that it is the throw out bearing but I don't know if this is normal or not. I did notice, that this morning, when the car was not driven hard, it did not make the louder noise after coasting to a stop. I am just worried because I have to drive it 500 miles this next week and I am terrified that it will break on me, which it has done before (hence the strange replacement history). I also do not want to pull out the tranny this week if this type of noise is normal. My question is what are some signs of a bad throwout bearing?

By the way, I have no problem shifting other gears when first gets notchy. Others shift just fine. There are also no other noises that occur, just the notchy noise in first gear sometimes, and the whirring noise. Any help is appreciated. I hate pulling my tranny so I'd like to avoid it, but if you guys think that it could fail or damage things within the next few months, I'm going to pull it apart this weekend. Thanks in advance

when a throw out bearing starts to go bad..

usually its just the clip connecting the throw out bearing to the fork itself. but you'll hear a rattling everytime you disengage the clutch or when your engaging it at that. it costs in the ballpark of 45$ so replacing that before it effects your clutch is a benefit in your pocket itself. but you will notice the lack of pressure it usually has.

Gary 420A RS said:
when a throw out bearing starts to go bad..

usually its just the clip connecting the throw out bearing to the fork itself. but you'll hear a rattling everytime you disengage the clutch or when your engaging it at that. it costs in the ballpark of 45$ so replacing that before it effects your clutch is a benefit in your pocket itself. but you will notice the lack of pressure it usually has.

List price @ the dealer is ~$32. I called today because I have to do mine this weekend.

I don't know if this is the same but when my TOB was going out on my miata, it made a noise similar to that of a cricket, more squeaky though, whenever I had the clutch out. With the clutch in, it would stop. Same situation as you but different sound. BTW, the TOB I had was metal.

U will know if the TOB is bad. On my S-10 when the TOB went out. U could feel it in the petal and u also heard metal swirling on metal. It sounds really bad. Jack it up and listen to it. If it is a swirling metal sound then it is bad. Plus i thought using metal splined TOB was bad for the input shafts. I read somewhere in the forum that u should only use OEM because they are plastic splined.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back