Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 08:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #81 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 109
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to ruf_round_edges
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice. I am going to attack this problem over the weekend.

Will

Visit ruf_round_edges's homepage! 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:48 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #82 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 149
Send a message via AIM to 1FlyTsiVT

i had the same problem

thought it was my dipstick at first so i did a temp duct tape pisx on that, then i bought a new valve cover gasket and it turned out to be the oil cap.. so i put a new one on, i am still going to do the vlave cover gasket ### i think its a good idea anyways... if i were you i would get a new oil cap, and see how that does... mine was pooling up nice in there.... and now it seems fine. good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pict0075.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	23741  

Old 04-29-2004, 01:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #83 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to tavas

Water out of Valve cover

Help!! I have water coming out of the valve cover. It's coming out of the hole near the timing gear. I am losing a lot of water and hence boiling dry. I took the car to the shop and they said it'd due to the head being warped. I am getting the head fixed but I am pretty sure that a warped head won't cause water flow. The head was only warped 0.07mm.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 04-29-2004, 05:41 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #84 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 566
Send a message via AIM to philipkrotch
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......wtf.

Old 04-29-2004, 06:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #85 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Yeah exactly. I've only owned the car 2 weeks. It has 20,000 km on the motor. I know my way around a V8 but DOHC turbos have me stumped. I haven't even had a chance to look at the problem since it died on the road and was towed straight to the mechanic.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #86 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
That hole on the front left corner of the valve cover is just a drain for the sparkplug well area. Water coming out of there isn't coming from inside the engine, unless you have some odd leak from a hose or the like feeding into that area.
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 04-29-2004, 05:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #87 (permalink)
Probationary Member

OK, that makes more sense . Sounds like you guys have more knowledge about the car than the Mitsubuishi dealer.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #88 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 149
Photos: 1
i think oil is coming out of the little hole in my car
View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-11-2004, 06:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #89 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,369
Classifieds Rating: 5
Reputation: sweet97 is pretty helpful and trustworthysweet97 is pretty helpful and trustworthy

Odd One Here!! Help

There is a small hole in the valve cover on the front right near that corner bolt. Mine is leaking oil. What is the hole for and why the leak and what's the fix? I have a '93 Talon. I pushed a toothpick in all the way, doesn't seem to be threaded. What's up>???Mark

Old 08-11-2004, 07:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #90 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 330
Photos: 1
Send a message via AIM to SpoolnTsi
All valve covers have that hole but there not suppost to leak oil. I never understood y the hole was put there in the first place but anyway there not suppost to see oil. It runs thru a spot on the valve cover that isnt suppost to see oil so if its leakin oil then theres a crack. The valve cover will either need to be replaced or find someone that can fix the problem. Usually once there cracked the never right from there on. You can try to seal it somehow with some type of sealant or have someone try to weld it but your pretty much wasting your time and money because over time with the heat and cold expansion and torquing it down onto the head they will expand and get worse

Old 08-11-2004, 07:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #91 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 103
Send a message via AIM to DSMfânâtic
I think that hole is called a "weep" hole, but don't quote me. It lets the oil drain out of the center of your valve cover. I would think that you'll be needin' a new oil cap gasket. There less than $3, so it's at least a cheap place to start.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #92 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 103
Send a message via AIM to DSMfânâtic
I wouldn't plug the hole. It's there for a reason. Plugging that hole will just let the oil build up and make its way toward your spark plugs. Go buy an oil cap gasket.

Part # MD 311638

Cost= $2.20 from a dodge dealer, too

Old 08-12-2004, 02:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #93 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,369
Classifieds Rating: 5
Reputation: sweet97 is pretty helpful and trustworthysweet97 is pretty helpful and trustworthy

hole

Thanks to all! I play Talon Trivia and even end up with the part #!! I thought this was going to be really off the wall but thanks for the dedication! Mark

Old 09-25-2004, 07:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #94 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 71

Small machined hole in valve cover

I purchased a 92 gsx a couple of weeks ago. After having it a week I changed the plugs and noticed my valve cover was full of oil. I thought it had to be coming up through the bolts, since there was lots of rtv type stuff that was visible around the edges of the valve cover.

I had my mechanic changed the gasket since I needed a wheel stud done also. After changing it I still have oil. We found a small hole 1-2mm in size in the right front of the valve cover. The hole seems machined, so I am not sure if something should be there or not. Right now I am considering epoxying the hole unless it has some purpose.

BTW, I have replaced my oil cap, and my pcv already. So these were ruled out as problems causing this.

Old 09-25-2004, 10:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #95 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 4G63 Sandrail
Tech Posts: 4,560
Photos: 27
Classifieds Rating: 34
Send a message via AIM to dave99gst
nope - there shouldnt be any holes going to nothing.
a pic may be usefull.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #96 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
That's the drain hole for the plug valley. Except it's not on the RIGHT, it's on the LEFT. The DRIVER'S SIDE is the LEFT side, regardless of whether you're looking at it backward. But, it's one of those cross-ups we'll never get fixed.

Don't fiddle with it. It's supposed to be there.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77475

If your plug valley is still filling up with oil after replacing the gasket, cam plug and spark plug hole gaskets, you probably have a cracked cam cover.
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-26-2004, 01:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #97 (permalink)
Proven Member

I just found it. The cover is cracked

The crack is very small. Neither I or my mechanic caught it. After cleaning up the oily mess with break cleaner again, I saw it this time. At night a bright flashlight brings out those hairline cracks very quickly.

Thanks for the help. Tomorrow I can try the epoxy my mechanic gave me just in case the leaking continued. If that does not fix it then ebay valve cover may be my first mod.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #98 (permalink)
Proven Member

Thanks Defiant. That is my hole in question. It is already plugged now though I have owned about 10 cars, and this is my first time running into this weep hole. When I get my next valve cover I will leave it alone though. Thanks for the link.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #99 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 160

What's this hole for?

Hi,

I just noticed a little hole in my valve cover near the right side bolt on the front of the cover. What is it for? Does it need to be plugged or left open? BTW, I can stick a wire all the way through.
Thanks,

Sven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02161-2.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	49122  

Old 03-26-2005, 05:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #100 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 209
Water drainage? Good question.