Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 05:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 284
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to WatchItExplode

Can an oil leak cause clutch failure/slippage?

So the car has had an oil leak for a couple thousand miles (only a couple of hundred or so are mine, just bought the car) and it recently got worse. See my other thread if you want further details on the leak... Found my oil leak...now how to fix it?

A few days ago my clutch suddenly started slipping horribly. At first it was just at WOT and >4500 RPM but it has since gotten to the point where I have to barely touch the throttle in order for it to not slip. Day before this happened, the clutch (stock by the way) held like a rock. I have been very easy on it, never launched it.

So what I'm hypothesizing is this, could oil have somehow leaked into the bell housing and soaked the clutch in motor oil? If this is in fact what happened, would there be any hope in saving the pressure plate, etc. or would only the friction disk need replacing?

Visit WatchItExplode's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ok I'm only going to bump this once...but I drove the car tonight and for some reason the clutch held a lot better, but still slips really bad, especially in 2nd.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 450
Classifieds Rating: 0
don't want to sound like an a**, but why are you asking that question. obviously you have a few major problems that need to be addressed so go out and fix them. two my two pennies.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

I'd like to know what I have to buy before taking apart my car, and I'd like to know at least vaugely what to expect when I do.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 450
for things like a clutch you are probably going to need the usual things depending on what you see once it is opened up. take it to the shop

Old 02-04-2005, 01:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 533
Where is the oil leak? By the turbo oil drain?
The clutch on my car did the same thing. When I rebuilt the motor I found there was a big crack on the bell housing starting at the seal for the output shaft to the transfer case. The trans fluid would leak out onto the output shaft and get flung onto the clutch. Sometimes my clutch would slip pretty bad, I thought I would have to replace it then it would get better again. This happened for over a year before I found the problem. I hope it's not yours. You could pull the transfer case and I think you should be able to see in there a little and just see if there is any oil splashed around.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 6
Send a message via AIM to 90 Mike gsT Send a message via Yahoo to 90 Mike gsT
to awnser the big question, yes, and oil leak can cause your clutch to slip, but in this case i dont think so, the rear main seal going can cause your clutch to slip. check it out, its a b---h to check but if u feel like pullin your trany try the rear main seal. hope that helps,