The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Found my oil leak...now how to fix it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WatchItExplode

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
Ok...so I bought my '91 GSX complete with e316g upgrade a couple weeks ago with an oil leak. Owner didn't know what it was coming from. Oil was all over the place under the car so today I pressure washed it all off to find the leak. I noticed one of the bolts (the one closest to the rear of the car) to the turbo side of the oil return line was sticking out some, so I though "ok great I'll tighten this baby up and be done." It did feel like it was taking a little too much effort to turn...but I kept right on turning...then the bolt breaks off :cry: Just wonderful, a way bigger job than I expected. Apparently it was cross threaded or stripped or something. :rolleyes:

Questions...
1. So I guess what I have to do is take off the turbo and get the hole drilled out and retapped right? Is there an easier way?

2. I'd like to do the removal and installation myself while leaving the tapping to a machine shop (would that be the place to take it?) I'm a DSM newbie but I have basic mechanic skills, do you guys think the installation is something I can do? (I have access to a lift and air tools also....)

3. Also, any turbo removal and installation tips, FAQ links, or general advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Not sure if I was clear on this or not, but half of the bolt is till in the turbo, holding my oil in (for the most part...haha)

damn dude that sux yea the dipstick popped out on me so i got oil all over the place i washed it but theres still some oil on there. ummmm dont know what to tell you other than take it a shop i know champaigne here in town would do it but i dont know what to tell you!! good luck see you on saturday maybe

well how much of the bolt is sticking out? it there is like a quarter of an inch sticking out, take some locking pliers (vice grips if you wanna call them...) grip it as tightly as you can and turn it until it is out

http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-turbo.html

Pretty easy job. If it hasnt been done already, Id for SURE take out that stud holding the turbo to the exhaust manifold. It'll make future installations and removal easily. Its outlined in more detail in the "Quick Removal Notes" part of the write up.

good luck.

Yeah, you're going to have to pull that baby out. Best way to do it is to pull off the manifold, unbolt the downpipe, unbolt the ring clamp and pull that entire hot side off first. You'll find it so much easier to get to the oil and coolant lines, not to mention it'll be a lot less effort to manuever the turbo when you've got to put it back together.

Take it to a machine shop, have them drill and helicoil it so you won't have to use a different sized bolt.

A MAJOR prerequisite is to soak down all exhaust bolts with PB blaster to make the job ALOT easier. Also I used anti-seize on all of my bolts that had anythingi to do with turbo and exhaust, save for water lines and oil banjo bolts (but thats just common sense ;) ).

Also a tip to not have to remove the power steering to get at that last bolt on the exhaust manifold, is to use a swivel socket extension. It'll save you a little time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back