Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 08:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 691
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to bOOstd GSX

oil coming out of exhaust

First off I have a cracked valve cover... So is it possible that oil is getting into the intake valves because of that or is it a head gasket or some other problem that I definately don't wanna hear about right now?

Visit bOOstd GSX's homepage! 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4
Classifieds Rating: 0
i would say its somthing to do with your rings, but that would mean its burning oil...maybe somthing to do with your turbo?

Old 01-15-2005, 09:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 231
it could be alot of things, valve seals, piston rings, turbo

Old 01-15-2005, 02:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 42
Send a message via AIM to DeanCorleone
1G-specific

I've got oil coming of out the two left exhaust holes on the block... took my 1G exhaust manifold off to upgrade to a ported 2G... saw this and wondered. It would be bad valve seals right? ... and I know it could be so many other things... but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 260
Send a message via AIM to exzercist
my friends turbo was leaking oil out the seals. little by little it got worst until it fianlly bl;ew and broke his turbine and compressor shaft in half.

Old 01-15-2005, 07:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 533
Does it smoke a lot? Does it smoke all the time or only when you shift? When the turbo is dying it is very common to let out a puff of smoke when you shift.

Old 01-15-2005, 08:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 333
Photos: 13
Send a message via MSN to pr0
If your plugs are not fouled and you have no compression loss, it is your valve guides. The VC gasket has nothing to do with oil running out of your exhaust or oil burning.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-18-2005, 05:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

how hard is it to fix valve guides? my 1g needs some attention!!

Old 01-18-2005, 09:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0
If your plugs are not fouled and you have no compression loss, it is your valve guides. The VC gasket has nothing to do with oil running out of your exhaust or oil burning.
valve seals not valve guides

Old 01-19-2005, 10:49 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

Tech Posts: 206
Send a message via AIM to 4GSixty3
Valve stem seals are not hard to replace. Just take out your valves ( vfaq has a great valve spring compressor idea that I made) and take a pair of pliers and grab the seals and just yank on them until they come off. Get the new 1, coat it with oil inside and on the outside of guide and take a deep well socket (cant remember which size), put it on the new seal, and gently tap the socket with a hammer until the seal is on all the way.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

are they expensive?

Old 01-19-2005, 02:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

I think machv.com has them for about $16 for a set

Old 01-19-2005, 02:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 730
Why have you concluded it's the valve guides? If blue smoke is coming from your exhaust it is probably engine related but if it is oil droplets coming out of the muffler it's most likely the turbo seals.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:42 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 903
Recently had crazy problem with oil coming out exhaust and was wet and droplets.Thought blew new turbo.But it appears that cheap crap fuel filter I added in my breather line was full and was blocking crankcase vent totally.As far as can tell this made lot of oil leak everywhere and mabye even made it come out turbo seals.I have no shaft play and turbo is boosting fine and the oil problem seems gone since took out that fram fuel filter.I won't be using one of those again.just my catch can.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD
Why have you concluded it's the valve guides? If blue smoke is coming from your exhaust it is probably engine related but if it is oil droplets coming out of the muffler it's most likely the turbo seals.
by turbo seals do you mean the seal between the turbo and exhuast manifold? no blue smoke is coming from the exhuast.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 260
Send a message via AIM to exzercist
Quote:
Originally Posted by bOOstd GSX
by turbo seals do you mean the seal between the turbo and exhuast manifold? no blue smoke is coming from the exhuast.
no by turbo seals is meant by the seals inside the turbo will leak or blow.