Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 03:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #21 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,902
Classifieds Rating: 1
Thats what the underside of my friends valve covered looked like when he over heated his engine to the point of plastic parts starting to melt.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #22 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 294
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to ryanman Send a message via Yahoo to ryanman
This is actually a good thread, it brings up another good point about buying used cars with aluminum heads, easiest way to check to see if a car has had regular oil changes/been taken care of is to pop off the oil cap and take a look inside the motor and look at the discoloration of the aluminum.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #23 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,777
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 59
Reputation: Mike1992 is extremely helpful and trustworthyMike1992 is extremely helpful and trustworthyMike1992 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to Mike1992 Send a message via Yahoo to Mike1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanman
This is actually a good thread, it brings up another good point about buying used cars with aluminum heads, easiest way to check to see if a car has had regular oil changes/been taken care of is to pop off the oil cap and take a look inside the motor and look at the discoloration of the aluminum.
If thats the case, my car didnt get regular oil changes because when i did my gasket a few months back, the inside of my head was very very brown. Not clean looking. sigh....
View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-14-2005, 05:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #24 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: EVOLUTION 9 SE
Tech Posts: 233
Photos: 1
That is normal unless you run synthetic oil.

I am using mobile drive clean....it has detergent but is not synthetic. Slowly but surely it cleans the motor up....or if it was clean it stays clean.

That cover looks like 95% of the DSMs I have worked on.

These cars get hot no doubt about it.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #25 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 329
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to 95TSiNewbie
Mine was a little discolored on that side and i was worried so I called a local Mitsu dealership and the mechanic their said that it can happen on the far side of the valve cover because its the furthest point from the oil pump and fresh oil doesnt always travel to the far side of the head. Not sure if thats true but thats what i was told.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #26 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
That is normal unless you run synthetic oil.
No, it's not.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #27 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: EVOLUTION 9 SE
Tech Posts: 233
For his car it is.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #28 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,200
Reputation: psychlow is pretty helpful and trustworthypsychlow is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to psychlow Send a message via Yahoo to psychlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanman
No, it's not.
I have to agree with this.

Silver to tan usually indicates meticulous oil changes and a cool engine. Tan and light brown discoloration usually signifies normal maintenence. Dark brown can signify long oil change frequencies or overheating.

But that - that just looks insane. I can't say I've seen a valve cover that discolored in a long time.

Is it possible that the cover came off of a toasted engine?
Visit psychlow's homepage! 

Old 01-14-2005, 08:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #29 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 179
Photos: 3
Send a message via AIM to 98FWDSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlow

Is it possible that the cover came off of a toasted engine?
It is possible, I bought the car from a foreign lady selling for her husband who was out of town on a business trip. After purchasing it, when I would work on the car I would notice different bolts/pieces missing, the transmission has a big weld down it, the rear driver side fender well is missing the black plastic cover piece, it didnt have a sunroof shade, etc. . . . . . . .I think that it was wrecked,yet carfax shows a fine report

Old 01-14-2005, 09:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #30 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: psychlow is pretty helpful and trustworthypsychlow is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FWDSM
I think that it was wrecked,yet carfax shows a fine report
Carfax is just next to worthless, IMO.

Yeah, sounds like you had an idiot working on the car, unfortunately. I bet they're one of the people just like me who never suspected a valve cover made of metal could crack easier than one made of plastic. And I'm not exaggerating - the ABS plastic valve covers on my Mustang have handled way more torque than the Mitsu aluminum valve cover will take before cracking.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #31 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 11,735
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 21
Plastic gives, aluminum doesn't, or at least not much.

It doesn't help that people think they need to torque it down like they might a V8's cover to stop leaks when what they really need to do is replace the gasket.

Steve
Visit steve's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-16-2005, 11:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #32 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2007 Subaru STi Limited
Tech Posts: 1,207
Photos: 2
Send a message via AIM to JiveMasterT
how was the compression on the car? that to me looks like regular old carbon build up. do you run synthetic in it? what did the dude used to put in it?

Old 01-16-2005, 01:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #33 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,065
Photos: 13
Classifieds Rating: 32
Reputation: RamenPride is extremely helpful and trustworthyRamenPride is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveMasterT
how was the compression on the car? that to me looks like regular old carbon build up.
carbon buildup on the valve cover? I'd expect it on the pistons, valves, etc. but not under the valve cover

Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #34 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenPride
carbon buildup on the valve cover? I'd expect it on the pistons, valves, etc. but not under the valve cover
If the rings are shot, the carbon can make its way into the crankcase....

Old 01-16-2005, 06:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #35 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 730
I've pulled at least five different 4G63 valvecovers and I have never seen anything like that.:eek: I've seen the brown (which seems to be normal for a high mileage 4G63) but nver the black and that much of it. My 98 Eclipse was like brand new underneath with 56K miles.

It's fairly obvious that possibly before you owned the car it was overheated to the point where it cooked a few litres of oil. Hopefully the owner repaired anything wrong at that time as overheating like that can reduce the life of an engine greatly.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #36 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 179
Photos: 3
Send a message via AIM to 98FWDSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD
. . .overheating like that can reduce the life of an engine greatly
well, i bought the car at 53K miles and now it has 116K miles....hopefully i can get another 100K out of her before a rebuild...lol

Old 01-17-2005, 07:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #37 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
For his car it is.
Get a clue.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #38 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 17
I work at an auto part store and see this a lot, it is from people who never change thier oil and just add every so often. This is a sign that you need a good oil system flush and clean.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #39 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,136
I pull one off at a junk yard and it looked kinda like that...bead blasted it and removed as much of the beads as possible...looks much better now

Anyhow my stock one with 50K miles looked super clean on the underside of it.

Last edited by truwarrior; 01-18-2005 at 07:22 PM.