The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECU Manual or auto does it matter???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxer269

Probationary Member
Nov 8, 2004
Brighton, Michigan
i have a 95 tsi awd 5 speed and i fried the ecu last night when i was trying to hook up my safc and i found an ecu for a 95 tsi Automatic. will it work for my car? does it matter if it is an auto or manual ecu cause i know that the autos also have a seperate transmission computer under the ecu i was just wondering if the auto will work.

thanks alot - Rob :(

Thanks alot i just hope when i get the ecu that it isnt different also do you think instead of buying the used auto ecu that i could get it repaired at an electronics repair place??? or is it better just to get a used one?

thanks rob

I can't speak authoritatively on 2G's, but on 1G's, the ECU certainly does matter between manual and auto - first reason that comes to mind are the fuel maps being different.

huafist said:
I can't speak authoritatively on 2G's, but on 1G's, the ECU certainly does matter between manual and auto - first reason that comes to mind are the fuel maps being different.

You are correct, the fuel maps are different because the smaller injectors on the auto. Remember, the major differences in the autos are the smaller inj, different cams (for more low end torque), and smaller turbo. So on a stock 1G DSM, it may make a difference.

However, I put a manual ECU in my car (auto) and it worked fine, no problems, but I do have an AFC which will change the fuel maps.

On a 2G though, I think the inj/cams/turbo are the same between auto/manual, correct? If so, it should not be a problem with putting a auto ecu in a manual 2G.

DaveT
92GSX

Ok so what i did was i took my ecu up to brighton tv and electronic repair and had them take my afc and my computer apart and they said the AFC is FINE totally fine the dick that hooked it up must have hooked it up wrong cause only the buttons light up and not the screen. however the ecu was fried and im pretty sure its an emprom or what ever because its got the E in the bottom right corner and i found another 95 manual TSI ecu and bought it today and it had identical numbers except instead of an E it had a T and the junkyard dude told me taht donst mean anyhting. so i hooked it up and now my car is idleing ok but running like SHIT total SHIT fluttering at wot until about 10 seconds of bababababbaba fluttering then sounding better and still going slow and abnormal not mentoining the HUGE black smoke coming out of my exaust leaving GUNK in my muffler making it BLACK and goey when i accelerate... please some one tell me i have the wrong computer or SOMETHING!!! also i have brand new oil, plugs and wires that i bought tonight so i know thats not it it ran fine before this guy fried my ecu... anyways please help

thanks - pert

Bringing back,
i need to know if a manual ECU will work in an auto 2g also.
Sounds like boxer was having problems. Anybody have success w/ this swap?

In a related thread, "Steve" replied with a great link. Try <A HREF="http://home.xnet.com/~steve/Auto/DSM/ECUID.html"> this. </A>

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back