Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2002, 09:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via ICQ to -Zero-

Failed Emissions at idle

Hey everyone,

I have a situation here. My 1993 Eclipse GXS has failed the emissions test 4 times at idle, but at higher RPMs that damn thing burns REALLY CLEAN for this area.

Test Results:
Standards: HC 220 CO 1.2
Idle test: HC 1906 CO 1.4 (3rd test)
Higher RPMs: HC 90 CO 0.6

I tried talking with the ILEPA rep, but he said that there's nothing that they can do to get me a waiver since my car has to be tested at IDLE because of the AWD.

I think that the main problem is that something is wrong that causes my car to idle like crap! It seems to loose power when idling, and sometimes even dies. I've heard that this could be caused by the IAC, and was wondering if anyone else had similiar problems.

I don't want to get rid of the car, so I need to get it to pass, any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Visit -Zero-'s homepage! 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 04:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 11,735
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 21
There are lots of variables that could cause a bad idle like a bad ISC, a vacuum leak, upgraded fuel pump, bad fuel pressure control valve, O2 sensor, etc.

Without knowing what you have don to the car it's hard to say. Who worked on the car between the tests and what has been replaced. When did it start idleing poorly. Depending on where you are in Chicago there are places that can fix it.

Steve
Visit steve's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-11-2002, 05:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2
Send a message via ICQ to -Zero-

What has been done...

I had the following done:

plugs replaced
wires replaced
cat replaced
O2 sensor replaced
engine decarbed
compression checked
checked for vacuum leaks
timing adjusted
they also adjusted and checked the entire emissions control system and said that everything looked ok.

I only drive the car 2 or 3 times a week since I work from home most of the time and on the weekends we usually take my wifes car (more room for us and the baby) if we go anywhere.

I'm getting blow back from the dipstick, so I think I have a ring problem, but would that cause it to fail emissions?

I had the car worked on by the Mitsubishi Dealer that I bought it from thinking that they should be able to figure it out since it's one of THEIR damn cars!

And now is seems that the 1st gear syncro is going bad... =( I might have to just sell the damn thing. BUMMER!
Visit -Zero-'s homepage! 

Old 05-11-2002, 10:53 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,167
Reputation: crankbender is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocrankbender is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocrankbender is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocrankbender is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocrankbender is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocrankbender is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via Yahoo to crankbender
You are failing for carbon monxide correct? If that is the case I believe you can correct that by leaning out the mixture a bit at idle (or is it richening it up?). Going too lean causes you to produce ozone and other gases like that being too rich causes you to produce co (not enough oxygen to go around) and petrochemicals. Have you done anything to increase the fuel?

Old 05-12-2002, 08:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 13
Photos: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to dsmguy94

Passing emissions

Do you have a BOV or an open air canister? If the bov is venting, put it back to stock. ALso if the air box is open, close it. I have been told that this helps quite a bit for passing for the idle test.

-Dave
Visit dsmguy94's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-29-2009, 09:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 3,630
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 18
Reputation: RedTurboEclipse is extremely helpful and trustworthyRedTurboEclipse is extremely helpful and trustworthyRedTurboEclipse is extremely helpful and trustworthy
i tried to smog my 95 GSX to potentially sell it. it's pretty much bone stock. i have 660cc denso, evo 9 pump, and DSMLink with correct deadtime/etc for the injectors.

I PASS the 2500rpm TEST! flying colors! As well as every other check.

but fail idle test?!?!

I must admit my idle was weird. On cold starts it would idle high and settle. Turn it off then turn it on shortly after sometimes you need to give it some as to keep it alive. I knew this and I kept the car on. But stupid tech turn it off. When he started it again, it was having a hard time idle even dying, he had to give it gas. So its not dying anymore but I could tell it was idling really low.

Well I failed the idle test.

Could I pass if I raise the idle on dsmlink to 900. I changed the ISC and its much better. Smog said the bad idle control kept on messing up the trims because it was wanting to die, etc etc. Don't remember the exact stuff.