The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

How i made my lifters stop TAPPING!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoLiterV8Eater

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2002
Gainesville, Florida
my lifters were tapping so bad it was setting off my knock sensor. i tried several ways to make it stop, including running straight 50 wieght oil with Lucas Oil Stabalizer added to it.. BAD IDEA.. anyway.. i bought a product called Gunk Motor Flush, and used it according to directions. i then changed the oil and filter (quaker state synthetic 10w30, and a pure one filter) and drove the car. it is quieter than it has ever been, and i havent got any phantom knock since. its only been about 30 miles of driving but its already a VAST improvement. Also, i accidentally spilled some of the motor flush on my valve cover, and when i wiped it with a rag it gave the valve cover a polished look..real shiny...so i know it did some good on the inside of the engine, just be careful if you have a painted valve cover..as i think it will definitely strip the paint. Just an FYI to everyone with nasty lifter tapping!

The lifters were not pumping up all the way due to guess what? Varnish! The gunk stuff stripped off the varnish and whoohoo, the lifters started pumping up all the way. (the varnish is the same stuff that keeps v8 lifters from coming out of the bore when you swap cams out.) those lifter bores and the inside of the lifters are running a very tight clearance (sometimes measured in ten thousandths of an inch). Just DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR WITH THE GUNK IN IT! you are basically putting a solvent into your oil. Any kind of a load above idle can shred bearings. Follow the instructions carefully. If i remember it said idle 5-10 minutes and drain the oil.

Great advice V8eater, it sounds exactlt like the problem i have been having i'm definitly going to give it a shot, thatnks

Thanks, i was SOOOOO close to replacing the lifters with the new style ones..a rather expensive way to fix the problem. i hope other people have good success with the motor flush. like someone said, DONT DRIVE THE CAR with that product in there...it says to use in a cold engine, idle for 5 minutes, then change oil and filter. and thats exactly what i did. Good luck to everyone that needs it :thumb:

Originally posted by 91eclipseGS
I solved my problem by putting in 93 octain gas instead of 87, that helped alot and now it is real quit, as of before it was tapping real bad
Please tell me your not serious. 93 octane will not cure lifter tick :rolleyes:

The only problem with motor flush is it releases a bunch of gunk into your oilpan which can be picked back up later and forced back into the engine. I used ATF and ran it for about 1000 miles and then did 2 oil changes back to back and my lifters haven't ticked in months. The nice thing about ATF is it works much slower than a straight out solvent like motor flush so things break down more evenly and smaller particles inthe end.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back