The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

timing belt/burnt rubber smell

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aznlangjai69

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 15, 2003
vancouver, B.C._Canada
Just got my car back from the mechanic shop yesterday and I noticed that there is a grinding (metal against metal sorta) noise coming from the timing belt area. It usually comes when at idle, and when it's acelerating, it goes away though. I took my car into my garage and popped the hood and I can smell a little bit of burnt rubber. Anyone know what's wrong with it? I did crash the front of my car, could something be loose or too tight? It's so loud that I can't even hear the engine running and when I was at work, my co-worker told me something was wrong with my engine from like 2 metres away.

You need to be a little more specific when describing symptoms. There are a lot of things near the timing belt that could grind and smell like burnt rubber. When you popped your hood, did u take the timing cover off and check it out? How do all of your accessory belts look, are they rubbing and burning up? :thumb:

it's not the burning that is the symptom, nor is it bothering me. It's the sound that its making. Its like metal grinding against metal. My friend said some WD40 might work, but I wanna be more sure.

I wouldn't try to fix or diagnose something that could be potentially serious after your mechanic gave the car back to you. Take the car back, explain the problem and make him fix it, especially if it wasn't happening beforehand.

WD40 is some great stuff, but grinding metal sounds and the smell of burnt rubber (which you should be concerned about) isn't it's forté.

Good luck!

it happens once in awhile, and i've experiment it before, but still can't tell whether it's on cold days or hot days. it happens before on both hot and cold. sounds like one of those old ford trucks. just doesn't match an eclipse. =p

but for sure i'll let my mechanic take a look at it. he won't lie cuz he's a relative.

It's somewhat normal to smell burning rubber with new belts as they break in. also, don't get wd-40 on your belts, it can cause them to fail early. I'd take it back to the shop you had it done at, and have them fix the metal sound.

Wel i had my time belt done and i smell the burnt smell. I was afraid to drive it for some time. You think its normal? It was pretty stinky while i was driving home. Seemed to happen when i did some speeding.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back