The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

engine "binding" during crank

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wicked98gsx

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2012
Middlesex, North_Carolina
Ok, so I will try my hardest to explain my problem...

I recently did the HG and timing again and im running into a weird issue. My car ran AMAZING the past 4 days. No Issues except for one up till yesterday.., only this time it sounded like a dead lifter or lo..the Issue was that the car would sound like it got hund or put int a bind during every crank up. Almost like a dead spot in the starter so to speak. It has never done this before and this was nothing to concerning since it would bind, then turn over once more and then crank right up and run amazing. Drove it for 4 dyas like this.

Well yesterday was no different, went to speak with my manager and came back outside to start the car after it had sat for about an hour. While cranking, it did the sudden stop or "bind" then started right up but this time with a loud slapping or ticking. Car ran by Itself for about 3-4 seconds and shut off by itself. I started It again and again, it got hung, then started with the loud noise, then shut off after 3-4 seconds. I haven't attempted to start it since, I can rotate the crank by hand and my 3g lifters are not collapsed. Im assuming that this binding has caused my timing to jump. Now, I also removed my CAS trigger peice and the metal rim inside fell out when I took out the 12mm bolt that secures it to the intake cam. (I had to put RTV on it). Im worried I put this ring in 180* off and could have caused my issue.

I need a confirmation of exactly how that ring is to be installed when the timing is TAC. Visual would be great but as some know, one half of the ring is smaller than the other half. Any help would be amazing. Thank you

Ok. Thank you...

But the second part of my issue about the binding. I know that could cause timing to jump but what could cause the binding in the first place... one guy says his car wont even start with that trigger 180* out and another says his has been backwards the entire time and his car ran fine. Im going to reset timing hopefully tomorrow and check the trigger ring. But maybe someone else can help inform me on the bind up prior to it starting and why it only runs for 3 seconds and dies now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back