The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

bad lifter tick after new head gasket help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdro08

Probationary Member
Apr 5, 2014
welch, West_Virginia
I have a 4g37 1990 plymouth laser the head gasket was leaking oil on front passager side so I changed the head gasket and head bolts and now its ticking some thing god awful its getting oil up to lifters and I have good oil pressure it sound like all lifters are ticking please help thanks

I did a new lifter replacement on a 4G37 a couple of years ago, and it took quite the time to get all lifters to get quieted down.

Sometimes, one needs to get the oil pressure up by driving it slow and this gets the lifters to quiet down.

Thing purred like a kitten afterwards.

Now the motor has over 210K miles on it and runs great.

Yea I read to let car run for like 45 mins I've took car for drive for a couple miles and let idled and reved at 3k for 30 mins still sounds bad it doesn't sound like normal lifter tick

May have to take the lifter retainer off, clean out the retainer with diesel or kerosene for you may have plugged ports, or the new HG isn't allowing oil to flow into the retainer to pressure up the lifters.

Well today put new lifters in still sounds like crap let it run for 45 min so I took plug wires out and vc and cranked motor to see if I could see or hear anything but I didn't notice anything and I didn't see oil shooting any where just the pools at front of head, is it supposed to shoot oil out when cranking and not running?

Oil flows continually to these areas of the head at all times when running.

I bet you got a galley plugged up from the HG install that isn't feeding oil to the top end.

Oil feeds through the rocker shaft which feeds oil through the rocker arm to the front end of the lifter, pressurizing the lifter.

I posted a video on u tube its under hud champ help loud ticking ,take a look thanks. What would be the easiest way to clean it out

You also could of put the head gasket on upside down and blocked off the oil port. I would pull the head and see whats going on.

The way the gasket is made u can only put it on one way cause it will not line up right.The only thing I think happened was when I was cleaning up the block I used paper towels to block holes and a piece of towel got down in there and stopped it up.What's the easiest way to get it out , any help is most appreciated thanks

Ya, no paper towels allowed around a rebuild since the paper fibres loves to clog up anything in its path, including the oil screen. - what good ol shop rags are used for.

Might have to take the oil filter off and reverse flush out the block's oil galleys with kerosene.

If You can run your oil pump with a drill you could maybe get the clog to come out. Just make sure you balance shift are deleted and timing belt is off. You should definitely see oil come out of the passages when doing this.

Well I believe I found the culprit , when I tore the head off I found a perfect paper towel plug in the front passenger side hole of the block its the second hole from the passenger side front , its small and the head gasket cut out combines the two.Does anyone know what flows through it. thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back