The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Reviving a 1999 GSX that's been sitting for 3 1/2 years

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I DSM KILLA I

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 11, 2009
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Hey everyone,

Some of you may remember me, and others may not. About 3 years ago, I was posting on here about rebuilding my 1999 GSX after my transmission spun a bearing. I wanted to put in excess of $10,000 into the rebuild, but unfortunately I lost my job and have only been working part time since November 2011. Now I am finally starting a full time job on May 1st but my sister in law wants it out of the driveway. It has 109,000 miles on it and I have about $2000 that I can spend right now. I just need her to be driveable for now.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there any fellow DSMers that may help me to get her up and running in the Central NJ/Eastern PA area?

2. After sitting for 9 months, I brought her to my local votech for the $10,000 rebuild, the transmission was pulled and it was sitting for 2 years at the school. After that, I had her towed home and she's been sitting there since, with the transmission removed. They also took the exhaust out. What can I expect to need to replace? I will detail what I know I need.

3. What I know I need: Trans, Stock Intercooler, Timing Belt, Water Pump, Battery. I have a set of tires off my stolen RSX, and the shocks are "OK". I put in a new clutch, brakes, and clutch cylinder in about 3 months before the bearing spun. Exhaust may need to be replaced as well as it has been sitting outside.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

One thing i always do is the belts hoses, brakes and basic things anything that is in doubt or new to you you can replace, i usually replace it anyway due to the age of the car and parts. First thing is change the timing belt if your unusure, while there the oil pump gaskets seals etc.

Your transmission spun a bearing? Hmm thats a new one. Also why would your exhaust need to be replaced? Its a steel pipe.. Unless its got holes in it, which I highly doubt it does, leave it and bolt it back up. You dont need to replace the intercooler. Timing belt yes, water pump ehhh dont have to but might as well since you're there. Unless the clutch was junk when you took it out theres no reason to replace that either. The pressure plate and flywheel might have some surface rust but just freshen it up with a scotch bright pad. In stall everything, oil change and new coolant and start it up. Its really not as in depth as you're thinking it to be.

Your transmission spun a bearing? Hmm thats a new one. Also why would your exhaust need to be replaced? Its a steel pipe.. Unless its got holes in it, which I highly doubt it does, leave it and bolt it back up. You dont need to replace the intercooler. Timing belt yes, water pump ehhh dont have to but might as well since you're there. Unless the clutch was junk when you took it out theres no reason to replace that either. The pressure plate and flywheel might have some surface rust but just freshen it up with a scotch bright pad. In stall everything, oil change and new coolant and start it up. Its really not as in depth as you're thinking it to be.

Thank you both for your fast reply.

Yeah the transmission bearing failed and caused the 5th gear end nut to gash a hole in the end case of the transmission. The exhaust is somewhat rusted but haven't closely inspected it for holes. The timing belt was due for a replacement (original owner did first one at 37,000 miles [verified by original dealer]) so would definitely be replacing that. My stock intercooler had a hole in it from hitting a cone that a BMW hit in front of me on the highway.

So I guess my part list so far is:

Transmission
Intercooler
Timing Belt
Other belts
Water Pump
Fluids

I would drain the gas n fluids, toss a used tranny and IC in there do the tbelt water pump belts n hoses and get her back running

Would gas sitting that long be useless? I had just filled it up the day before the tranny failed but always gave her 93 octane.

Im not a huge believer that the gas would be bad.. Ive had numerous cars fire right up with just a fresh battery after sitting longer than the OPs car. My 86 fiero for example.. Sat since 2007, last summer I checked the oil and threw in a new battery. Splash of fuel in the throttle body and boom fired up and ran.. The car will be fine with the fuel in it.. If you want to pull the pump and syphon out the old gas by all means do it.. But running it for a quarter or half a tank then refilling it with new 93 will be just fine.

Fuel left for more than a year, oxidation will set in.. This causes guming up, and will clog all kinds of cap once ran. But even worse, fuel is refined... Volatility and the fuels ability to combust are degraded. This is especially bad for our turbo charged cars. Don't take the risk...

When I bought my car it sat for 7 years. It ran on its old gas, but poorly, and ended up clogging stuff

Thank you all.

Does anyone have any of the parts I may need lying around? I know stock intercoolers are usually sitting around in some users garages. Also just remembered I need a stock BOV as well.

Can't wait to get her driving again! :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back