The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Strange Noise with Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattb9019

Probationary Member
Apr 11, 2014
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
So this is happening to my 98 Mitsubishi eclipse. The noise is caused by the turning of the steering wheel, but is not the cause of it because it happens when you go over bumps also without moving the wheel. the sound is coming from behind the left wheel. when you get out of the car, it happens less, and when it is jacked up it does not happen at all. In the video when i stop and go back to the other side its because any further than that does not cause it.

I am sure i did not cover all the details, ask questions where i didnt.

link to video : 98 eclipse... with somthing wrong - YouTube

Sounds like a dry ball joint to me.

A trick I like doing to tell with one is making the noise is spraying some wd40 into the ball joints one at a time. Use a pick to poke a small hole in the boot. Spray wd40 info 1 of the ball joints with the supplied straw. Check if the noise is gone. Repeat until you find the culprit.

Its probably a ball joint or bushing yes, but something that loud that doesn't require you to drive it can be easily heard from under the car. :aha:

You probably put more work into uploading the video to youtube than just jacking the car up and listening. :p

Take a look and let us know.

That is true about the video thing, but i did jack it up and try to figure out a sound Before i posted.:p But the kicker is the sound only happens when you have a load on it. so jacking it up was pointless. But i sent the video to my "father in law" He replied back with the same response. dry ball joint. the lower control arm is what is going to be replaced today. hopefully that will fix it.

Well my father in law came down with the part, we went to put it on and we started checked to see if it was actually bad and there was no movement at all with tire. It would not move up or down, left to right. So we took some oil and greased the joint and used silicone spread to seal it back up. I do not think the part is bad, just the joint is dry and rusted. its been a few days and noise has not returned. Not to mention at higher speeds she feels so much better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back