The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need help with turbo info

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsturg216

Probationary Member
Jan 29, 2014
Seymour, Indiana
I just recently purchased a 92 laser rs awd.. I was just wondering if anyone out there could help me out??

What is the stock turbo for this car?? It came with a Evo III GT. But read a couple places that they were horrible?

What's a "cheap" decent turbo for the laser?
Or the best way to go..

Mind everyone I'm not building a race car just something fun to drive.
Thanks for any help!

Stock turbo is a 14b if it's a manual car, auto would be a 13g. The reason I the evo 3 gt is so bad is because it is cheap eBay crap turbo. Cheap decent turbo would be a 14b they can be found for 100 bucks.

Stock was the Garrett T-25 which wasn't a bad little turbo since it spooled quick and helped the motor pump out 205HP at peak torque using 91 fuels out of the factory. since your Laser had a 7bolt motor in it for 1992.

EVO III was the Mitsu Big16G turbo install, which shot out 265 HP out of the factory on a 6bolt 4G63 Japanese designed motor and not the revamped on for the US market.

I have a B16G in my Laser since the motor came out of a Galant VR4...and with yellow top injectors, I could muster 230HP stock.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick info..it is a 5 speed as well. Any recommended sites to pick one up? Oh and I have 6 bolt to drop in it.. Just getting the final pieces together. Didn't know if it would be worth having the Evo 3 dsm turbo rebuilt or just buy a new one?

6 Bolt and the B16G works together with no problems, even though the B16G can handle tons more than what you have presently.

If you remain stock, you might have to use the injectors from the 7bolt head to match your ECU so your A/F ratios aren't all messed up using larger injectors.

Rebuilding the turbo is much cheaper than buying a new one unless you have lots of green lining your pockets for the purchase.

..and rear hatch struts are easy to replace so you don't have to do the 2x4 trick and fearing in busting out the hatch window when the plank accidentally slips.

Stock was the Garrett T-25 which wasn't a bad little turbo since it spooled quick and helped the motor pump out 205HP at peak torque using 91 fuels out of the factory. since your Laser had a 7bolt motor in it for 1992.

EVO III was the Mitsu Big16G turbo install, which shot out 265 HP out of the factory on a 6bolt 4G63 Japanese designed motor and not the revamped on for the US market.

I have a B16G in my Laser since the motor came out of a Galant VR4...and with yellow top injectors, I could muster 230HP stock.
T25's came on all 1995-1999 turbo dsm's. 1990-1994 manuals had the 14b, and automatics had the 13g. No evo ever came with a 6bolt engine. The Jdm 6bolts are out of galants.

Here is the turbo that came with the car. Didn't know if this turbo would be work rebuilding or just replacing?

Thanks the the shock tip LOL that's the next thing after I get the turbo situation figured out.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That is a ebay turbo not a real Mitsubishi turbo. Looks like it has wheel damage also so I wouldn't even mess with rebuilding it. I would search the classifieds for a replacement turbo or get a hold of one of the freelancers on here like jusmx141.

Oh okay. Thanks! Yea that turbo is trashed I'll do some searching. Anything I should stay away from?

I personally wouldn't throw a used turbo on my car without rebuilding it first! And o.p. get that eBay hunk of junk off your car before it really distroys the motor!! I mean it already looks like it sucked in a rock or 2 :( ouch, you might want to check your oil real good next time you change it. I can only imagine what's floating around in it!

local junk yards or you pull and pay yards will probably have what you need for cheap. Beware though as most yards have little or no warranty on parts like turbochargers regardless of condition or any other factors.

If you decide to go to a local yard to pull your turbo please be aware of many signs of turbo failure including but not limited to excessive in and out shaft play as well as orbital shaft play. The turbo should spin freely by hand and with no noise. There should be no cracking of the turbine side of the turbo or any coking of oil. (common problems with 1G cars or any other neglected turbo car)

That turbo came with the car.. The car didn't have a motor When I bought it. That's why I got a 6 bolt for it. That turbo has all sorts if shaft play that's why I was looking to rebuild it or just purchase a new turbo.. Any input on which route on a turbo.. Cheap but good turbo..

That's the route I will probably go then! Thanks LOL know anyone looking for Scrap turbos LOL

I have a 14b in the garage I would give you a good deal on. Pm me

I have a 14b in the garage I would give you a good deal on. Pm me

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back