Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 67
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 0

Stripped bolt hole on transmission

Cant find anything regarding this so here goes.

Recently installed new transmission into my 2g Talon auto and while screwing in one of the bolts it stripped on the tranny where the piece has to sit in the engine.(Sorry forgot the name )

My question is how do I go about fixing this? Helicoil is the only thing close that ive found that looks promising.

Thanks for the help

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 499
Classifieds Rating: 9
Reputation: RvlutionMtrsprt is extremely helpful and trustworthyRvlutionMtrsprt is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to RvlutionMtrsprt Send a message via MSN to RvlutionMtrsprt Send a message via Yahoo to RvlutionMtrsprt
Helicoil should work just fine.
Visit RvlutionMtrsprt's homepage! 

Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvlutionMtrsprt View Post
Helicoil should work just fine.
Now will I have to drill it out? also might be a dumb question but what size would I need

Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1997 ford f250
Tech Posts: 6,292
Classifieds Rating: 36
Send a message via AIM to bryanwheat
Which bolt is it exactly. Helicoils work real well. There is a version that autozone carries that is the same thing, but less than half the price. Around 25 bucks for the kit.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

The piece on the tranny that needs to rest on the motor I forgot the name of it.

but that bolt and I was told its a 14x1.25

Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 499
Classifieds Rating: 9
Reputation: RvlutionMtrsprt is extremely helpful and trustworthyRvlutionMtrsprt is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to RvlutionMtrsprt Send a message via MSN to RvlutionMtrsprt Send a message via Yahoo to RvlutionMtrsprt
Yes you have to drill it. The kits come with the right size drill bit, the tap, and the helicoils with install tool. I don't know the size of the drill bit and tap for a 14x1.25 off the top of my head. As long as you are correct about the size and pitch of the bolt that needs to go in the hole and purchase the right thread repair kit it should have the proper bit and tap.
Visit RvlutionMtrsprt's homepage! 

Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdabishop View Post
The piece on the tranny that needs to rest on the motor I forgot the name of it.

but that bolt and I was told its a 14x1.25
A 14x1.25 on the trans? The trans mount uses a 12x1.25, but there is nothing i can think of on the trans that uses a 14mm bolt. You need to be more specific. It is impossible to tell what you are talking about.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanwheat View Post
A 14x1.25 on the trans? The trans mount uses a 12x1.25, but there is nothing i can think of on the trans that uses a 14mm bolt. You need to be more specific. It is impossible to tell what you are talking about.

That bolt right there

Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

That is a 10x1.25. You will need to remove the transmission in order to install the helicoil if you go that route.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Well is there another option? It was a pain getting in there also the metal piece isnt sitting in and I cant seem to push it in or anything but this is my first dsm so tips and tricks would be appreciated

Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Try a longer bolt.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2005 EVO mr w/mivec swap
Tech Posts: 643
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: born2tune is pretty helpful and trustworthyborn2tune is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via MSN to born2tune Send a message via Yahoo to born2tune
Since you want options, You could finish stripping out the threads and use a longer bolt that will pass the block and use a nut with washer. you would still clamp it together like that but dont comeback complaining that it was a ghetto idea.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 30
Classifieds Rating: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2tune View Post
Since you want options, You could finish stripping out the threads and use a longer bolt that will pass the block and use a nut with washer. you would still clamp it together like that but dont comeback complaining that it was a ghetto idea.
ghetto but it works

Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 10
Photos: 1
yep same here i have a 1992 FWD Laser 4G63 and i had a problem with the bolt going through the transmission mount and connecting the mount to the transmission housing. i ended up drilling all of the way through the casing (not anywhere near the actual gear housing) and just running an 18mm bolt all of the way through to the bottom and a washer and bolt on reallllly tight did the trick for me.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-24-2013, 04:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 504
Classifieds Rating: 2
If the trans is not seated up all the way to the engine, you need to loosen all the other bolts and rock the trans till it seats up all the way....
I hope you seated the converter all the way in....That is, spin and push the converter till it meshes on the two gears...It usually takes 2 clicks and its all the way in....