Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 12:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 7

High Engine Temperature/Fishy Smell

Hi guys, new to the DSM game just picked up a 97' TSI AWD A/T a couple months and I've been loving it so far. Over last weekend I brought the car into a buddy's shop to have the serpentine belt replaced, oil change, tires etc. just some stuff I'd been meaning to do. But driving it the next day I realized the needle was literally through the roof of the engine temp gauge and maybe I'm crazy but I can swear I smell like a rotten fish smell at points.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid because I did search for the fishy smell and read up on some ECU stuff but there weren't really any mentions of high temps. So far she's still running fine, doesn't feel sluggish or anything but I figured I might as well see if anybody has an idea. Thanks!

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 224
Classifieds Rating: 1
Have you washed the undercarriage lately haha sorry I couldnt resist. Seriously tho its got enough coolant right? You probably shouldnt drive it anymore till you figure it out.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 290
Photos: 49
Classifieds Rating: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to 1996dsm
We had a similar issue with a 07 tundra. You drove it hard and if reeked! Of fish. We never found out why but i know how hard it is to try to pinpoint. Although ours didnt run hot.

Previous
-1996 RS
-1998 RS
View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-17-2012, 01:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

Race Components Inc - RCI 

Tech Posts: 404
Classifieds Rating: 12
Change your thermostat, get your cooling system flushed. Inspect your radiator and replace it as necessary. Do a compression/leakdown test. If that doesn't solve it, then you're looking at a bad water pump and/or head gasket.

If you continue to drive the car like this, you'll more than likely warp the head. You don't want that...trust me.

Visit dexterholland04's homepage! 

Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 29
Classifieds Rating: 0
I would drain the coolant, take out the thermostat and replace the coolant with water (flush the coolant system in this process). Drive it, if all is well its your thermostat or coolant, a quick and easy fix. If its still overheating its probabally your water pump or head gasket. If its not the pump/gasket its got coolant passageways that are too corroded and the engine will have to be pulled.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 15
The dead fish smell could be the cat just getting VERY hot. Mine does this all the time if I romp on it, esp. flooring it up a hill or something that puts the engine under heavy load. (Big boost with a stock cat doesn't work so well...)

Something like this sounds likely in your case, esp. with your CLT temps being through the roof.

Make sure there are no leaks in the system and you have enough coolant. If that's good, then my guess is your thermostat is jammed shut. Good test for this? Feel the upper rad hose when the engine is warm/hot. If the hose is cold, your 'stat is shut and needs to be replaced. For that matter, if you just got this car, replace it anyways...they're like $20 IIRC and when something like your engine's life is on the line, it's best to just do it.

EDIT:
Looks like others beat me to it while I was writing this post.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 214
Classifieds Rating: 0
The fish smell is coolant. It ran hot and coolant went into the reservoir and possibly overfilled it. Replace the t stat, male sure your water pump isn't leaking, and make sure your cooling fans are operational.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 33
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 4
Teach you to fill your radiator with river water lol. All joking aside sounds like your t-stat but i would go ahead and change your temp sensor while your at it. Any steam rolling out from under the hood at all?
View photos of this member's car