Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 03:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 30
Classifieds Rating: 0

Accident... Need advice on repairs... :/

Hey everybody... Remember that eclipse I spent my entire senior year fixing up and repairing to make it look exactly like I wanted? Probably not... But let me assure you I remember this car and Here is what it looked like.

And as of 11:19am on 05/05/2012 this is now what it looks like...

Now not only is the damage done to the bumper and hood but underneath is the frame that the headlights and bumper screwed into and the hood latched onto. Along with the hood and bumper crushed and pushed down the frame is also bent along with it all. My insurance does not cover any damage done to my car and with less then $140 in the bank (you can subtract $75 from that amount due to the ticket I also received) im alone on these repairs... I have a bumper so that is okay. But now I need a hood and I need to find a way to fix the frame.. Does anyone here have any ideas on how to possibly fix this or make it look better? I will be getting a new hood eventually so my main question is how do i fix the front frame of my car :/ (Lets all not forget that I JUST had this car painted. Less then 3 weeks has gone by )

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 619
Photos: 112
Can you open the hood to take some pics of the bend frame up front?
View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-07-2012, 04:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,322
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Bet you're going to have to take it to frame shop and have the front end all re straighten to square where the accident pushed the entire front end metal down..and bent the crossmember-which will have to be replaced.

It could have torn up some motor mounts as well...

Course, this is all a guess since we can't see what's under the hood and underneath the vehicle.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 27
Photos: 11
Well if you have no money.... for now what you need to do is open the hood, but know that once you do you might not be able do get it to fully latch until you fix it. Next you would put a piece of wood on top of the radiator support where the hood latches and hammer the hood in the middle with a rubber mallet. Work the piece of wood to the sides if you have too. Next you want to see how bad the support is and figure out a way to reshape it. Hooking it up to a tree or something like that and slowly backing up a little at a time while checking how the hood lines up should work for you. Use your imagination, the rad supports are thin metal and so is the hood. You can do it!

Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 439
Photos: 6
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 9
Send a message via AIM to spooln4fun Send a message via Yahoo to spooln4fun
Could be real cheap and get the hood open for us to see the damage and it looks like it won't stay shut once it's open. Could buy good pins and install them to keep that hood down till you come across another stock hood and get the front core support straitened. I do believe they are welded in so a new should be welded in its place

Old 05-07-2012, 04:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 7,783
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to Bud92gsx
Insurance is supposed to cover stuff like this.That's what you pay for.Unless you just have liability and it just covers the other car.

Is it worse under the hood?I gotta get a picture.Cause it only looks like the hood and bumper from the pics.

Dsm is down yet again.Whats new

Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Alright ill go get a picture of it. The damage that's done is the the frame in front of the radiator, It didn't go far past the hood ill go take a picture now and upload it thank you all for the help lol I really appreciate it! The hood can open and close iv done it a couple times and the car still runs fine its just body damage :/

Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 203
Photos: 3
Send a message via Yahoo to TSIturbo91
You really need more pictures. And looking at the primary damage it looks like the secondary won't be too bad. Are you sure the unibody has sustained enough damage to need a frame shop? And if it has to be put on a frame machine shop around because the labor rate for that is usually higher. The ford body shop I worked at was 85 an hour. But that's a Stealership price.

Get back to us with pics of the secondary damage so we can give you batter advice.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 129
Photos: 2
If its just the core support thats damaged *the part that holds the radiator and headlights in place* then all you got to do is find someone who can weld another in place, cut that one out and call it a day.

In fact, I couldn't find someone right away to weld mine, so what I was drilling out the spot welds and was going to bolt the whole piece in place. I suppose you could do that if you're really broke, just need to cut the core support out of a non smashed car.

Hopefully that's all it is for you, shouldn't be too bad. Mine was a hell of a lot worse than that, and I just bought a whole nother car for 2k and have been using it for parts ever since. (well it worked for two weeks then conked out, and I wanted MY car back so ... lol)

Edit : Just to give you some faith -- http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/357...setotaled2.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2038/eclipsetotaled.jpg

Radiator was leaned back against the exhaust manifold.

Now it looks like this -- http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8919/0407121801.jpg

Don't let it get you down, you can fix just about anything with a little time!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ok here you go guys I got more pictures, Redslayer your exactly right its that part thats bent. Its the reason my hood will latch back on after i open it lol but here you go guys heres the pictures.

You can see the frame bent where I circled it and iv taken some other pictures as well to show more of the damage but it kind of stops at the front of the frame h=just before the radiator.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-07-2012, 06:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

^^^^^^^

That is very close to how mine was bent up.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 557
Two things, you can do, as stated above. One bend back the core support and try to setup everything how it was even. Two, You get a new core support and rebuild from nothing and feel a little better at the end of it all.

To be honest, I have seen much, much worse and comes out looking like new.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 147
I think you might have hidden damage there. Take a closer look at the bottom frame of the car and check out the frame piece that holds the engine's roller stopper.

Just being thorough.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Tech Posts: 715
Classifieds Rating: 12
Wow that's pretty damn close to what happened to my spyder...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	138744

Name:	image(2).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	138745

I was in the same position as you (still am actually ). Didn't have a whole lot of extra cash so I got to work pulling on the rad support to straighten it out somewhat and jb welded a small crack I got in the radiator. I picked up a hood in decent shape locally and called it a day...sure it looks like it has overbite, but for now it works. Once school lets out I'll pick up a job or two and take it to get professionally fixed

P.s. that blue thing is a flashlight that I left there after checking out the front end

Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallestHERETIC View Post
I think you might have hidden damage there. Take a closer look at the bottom frame of the car and check out the frame piece that holds the engine's roller stopper.

Just being thorough.
Mines still bent from before I even got the car. Still drives fine lol.

And it looks like his impact was fairly high up. You'd have to hit something that was low to damage that, and most likely the bumper wouldn't survive lol.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 7
Photos: 9
i got hit head on with a truck and destroyed front end, after pulling everything off, down to the radiator support, i took it out came i couldn't bend it back but idk what to do now, i can get another upper bar, just the whole alignment and making it sturdy is my concern...engine i fine, still runs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3533.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	139013  

Name:	IMG_3498.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	139014