Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 31
Classifieds Rating: 0

Power steering belt squealing

Here's the story sorry if it's not the shortest version but I want to get in all the details that way you guys can help me better. My power steering belt was starting to get worn so I figured I would replace it. There was no noise whatsoever before I took off the belt. I went and bought a cheap belt from autozone thinking a belt is a belt. Slapped the new one on. Tightened it up good, started it up and it's squealing like a pig constantly. No matter how long I drive it the noise is always there and it's not the quietest thing in he world. I noticed that the higher the Rpms the louder it gets and when I push in the clutch at a stop light or stop sign it quiets down a tad, but still very annoying. I know the belt is tight. I just don't understand why it wasn't making noise with the old belt but once I put the new one on its making noise. I know the pump is good. Anyone have any suggestion or ideas. Thanks

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 6
Photos: 4
Are you letting the car warm up when it's been sitting for a while? Also more then likely your going to have to pull the belt back off, use your hand and check the wheel it should turn freely if it doesn't then your going to need a new pump also check the tensioner also while your taking the belt off.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

No matter whether the car is cold or at operating temp it still squeals the same. Alright I'll take it back off and see. Is there something I could clean the belt with just in case something got on the belt?

Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,335
Classifieds Rating: 4
Did you clean the pulley off before the install? A wire brush does wonders. Also make sure you didn't get any type of fluids/grime on the belt itself.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

No I did not clean anything I was spraying some pb blaster on the tensioner bolt and some possibly might have got on it. Would that make it squeal and how do I clean it?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 286
Classifieds Rating: 12
+1 on the wire brush. It might just be coincidental, but check the alternator belt too. They have been historically known to squeal. I went through this last year too. I thought it was my power steering belt that was making all the noise, but it turned out to be the alternator belt instead. Long story short, installing a new alternator belt didn't solve the problem. Cleaning the alternator pulley off and sanding the grooves to roughen them up a bit solved the problem and it's never squeaked since. Of course, proper tension on the belts is critical too. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm1103 View Post
No I did not clean anything I was spraying some pb blaster on the tensioner bolt and some possibly might have got on it. Would that make it squeal and how do I clean it?
This is probably why your belt squeals. The pulleys should wipe clean with some cleaner rather easily then take a small wire brush and go to town on the dirt/corrosion that's on it. Now if the belt is contaminated too much you might need a new one. But try cleaning the pulleys first to see if thats the problem. Make sure you have proper tension as a belt that is too tight will wear down the bearings in the pulleys and create more problems later.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ok thanks I'm going to go out now and play around with it. I've heard that these cars have a sweet spot for the right tension is that true. How do I know what's too lose and what's too tight?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Should be around 1/4inch deflection.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ok do I just use brake cleaner to clean everything off then use the wire brush?

Ok so I just took the belt off and all the pullys spin freely. I'm going to clean them up. Can I clean the belt with something to make sure I don't have any fluids on it?

Last edited by dsm1103; 04-15-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Best you could do is wipe the belt down with a rag. There isn't much else you could do to clean it. Solvents/cleaners tend to break the rubber down.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ok cleaned everything and put it back on started it up and no noise. I let it run a few minutes and there it was ... The squealing is back ???????????

Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Osiris Shoes
Tech Posts: 451
in my experience... you have to put a new belt on as tight as you can get it. run it for awhile, and when it starts squealing, tighten it again, but this time just tight enough so there isn't any "looseness" to it.

a new belt will stretch a bit, and with a manule tensioner like ours, you have to re-adjust it after the stretch.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 25
are you sure the belts not wider than the old one ??? where it sits in the pulley ?? check it against the old one. maybe they gave you the wrong belt.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,305
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
maybe they gave you the wrong belt.
NOW, what doesn't that surprise me coming from AUTOZONE??

Goto NAPA auto and give them your information and they'll get you a nice GATES belt that is designed for the DSM setup-what I have in mine is Gates for ALT and PS. I set the quarter inch deflection and never experienced squeals..

My DSM doesn't see AZ, period.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

No it's the exact same belt because I double checked. I got it now to he point where it doesn't make noise at idle but will start making noise as soon as i hit the gas. Higher the Rpms the louder it seems. Also seems to get louder when it gets hot

Could it be the belt is slipping somewhere? How do I check for that?

Last edited by dsm1103; 04-15-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 04-15-2012, 05:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 25
if you have the right belt and its adjusted right then you need to check your pulley alignment. male sure its straight and even with the other pulleys.

you may have an issue with your power steering pump. maybe its making too much pressure and the belts slipping . you could check that with a hydraulic pressure gauge.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

So since I messed with the belt almost all day I tried everything and checked everything. One thing I didn't try was to loosen up the belt. I loosened the bolts and started the car and played with the tension. Once I loosened it up some it seemed to stop squeaking. Now every so often I hear a chirp when the rpms are higher then idle. I might try and buy a new belt again because maybe it got contaminated when I was spraying pb blaster on the tensioner bolt. Is it likely that could have happened and that's what the small chirp is?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,305
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
...could be the ALT belt chirping .. did you check this as well?

Remember, when the system is under power, the ALT is working to keep the battery charged since it's the battery running the system, not the ALT.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:41 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

The noise is most definitely coming from power steering belt. Im going to say its all tension, I just haven't found the "sweet" spot... Or... The pb blaster contaminated the belt. Everything else checks out fine