Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 20
Photos: 4

how to tell if i have bad injectors.

I have noticed recently my cars been lagging plus I'm getting terrible mileage.. what is the easiest way I can find out if my injectors are bad?

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 44
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 3
if you have dsm link you can disable each injector at a time and if the car stalls out when that injector is shut down then it means one of them is bad, or id check the spark plugs.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Banana Republic

Tech Posts: 4,643
Photos: 65
Classifieds Rating: 14
Neither symptom you described would be a bad injector and you don't need DSMLink to disable one injector at a time, either. If your set on the injectors though, you can send them to FIC and have them cleaned and flow tested to make sure they're working correctly. FIC Clean & Flow

A boost leak test is probably your best bet.

If a injector goes bad and you aren't sure which let the car idle and unplug one at a time, if you unplug one and your idle doesn't change then thats the bad injector.

E-OCHOCINCO Powered FP HTA68 / stock 7-bolt / Shep 4

Old 02-17-2012, 12:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 1
the bad gas mileage is a good indicator and blocked injectors along with poor performance. i suggest doing a injector cleaning which would cost you no more than 75-100 dollars at good year or pepboys or whatever mechanic shop you may have around and, that way, if that doesn't fix the problem you can focus on other suspected problems.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 222
Photos: 2
Classified Ads: 2
I'd suggest filling out your profile info so that people know what you have done to the car for a better understanding. Honestly if I thought my injectors were going bad, and to clean them is 100 bucks, I'd just take that opportunity to upgrade to bigger injectors especially if youre still on stock

Old 02-18-2012, 04:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 42
Photos: 6
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 23

how to tell if injectors are bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Neither symptom you described would be a bad injector and you don't need DSMLink to disable one injector at a time, either. If your set on the injectors though, you can send them to FIC and have them cleaned and flow tested to make sure they're working correctly. FIC Clean & Flow

A boost leak test is probably your best bet.

If a injector goes bad and you aren't sure which let the car idle and unplug one at a time, if you unplug one and your idle doesn't change then thats the bad injector.

Totally agree, when one on my dd was going bad it would chug like a subaru periodically. FIC only charged me $20 per injector for cleaning flow testing before and after and replacinng the screens. Customer service and communicaion is awesome and they send back paper work and any old parts they removed for new ones.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Probationary Member

What makes no sense is I unplugged each injector one by one and they all are working right. My coil, plugs and wires are all sparking how they should be but I can't still figure out Why its chugging like it had been.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Banana Republic

Tech Posts: 4,643
Photos: 65
Classifieds Rating: 14
Do you have any CEL's and did you do a BLT?

E-OCHOCINCO Powered FP HTA68 / stock 7-bolt / Shep 4

Old 02-19-2012, 08:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Probationary Member

I do have a Cel. I was told it had to do with my gas cap or my catalytic converter or a vacuum line but I checked all my lines and even put clamps on them to make sure they are not leaking. What's a blt? Sorry I'm new to the dsm world.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 927
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 1
Boost leak test and compression test!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Probationary Member

OK my eclipse it says is a gsx. But actually its an rs. So I don't have a Turbo. They didn't have n rs selection.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 31
1G-specific

Hard to find a boost leak then. Check the o2 sensor.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Probationary Member

No I have not. Going to autozone tomorrow to run for my cel and see if it tells me anything

Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 37
Classified Ads: 1
Check all your vaccum lines and leak test intake. How old is the fuel filter? Are the injectors stock?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Probationary Member

That's what makes no sense. It idles fine just boggs when I drive it. The injectors are stock with like 192xxx miles.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 179
You can always send them out to have the flow checked.. I think fuel injector clinic does it.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Probationary Member

I fixed the problem. Went and got the car checked on the cels and it said I had a faulty ignition coil, injector, camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor. So I unplugged the ecu. And battery, switched the 4 and 2 spark plug wires. Unplugged the #4 injectors since that's what one was specified and plugged it back in. Took out both sensors, cleaned them and their connectors and put it all back together and no cel or ridiculous lag. Thank God.